Installing 250gig hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kish, Nov 29, 2006.

1. kish macrumors newbie

kish

I just got a new Seagate Barracuda 250gig hard drive which I am installing in an external firewire case, My problem is that when I try to initialize the drive using Disk Utility (I am using a Mac Mini G4, OS 10.4) it only sees the drive as 128gig.

How can I initialize the drive to access the full capacity?

Help! Anyone?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How old is the FireWire case?

3. kish thread starter macrumors newbie

kish

Its about 4 years old (firewire 400).

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

That could be the problem, the case could limit the size of the drive. Ermmmm, I think its the firmware that does this, so you could try search for some firmware updates (I don't know if that'll work/is possible though) and see what you can find.

If not, then its time for a drive case update my friend.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Your FireWire enclosure has a controller chip in it. It might be so old that it can't recognize drives over 128 GB.

6. kish thread starter macrumors newbie

kish

Thanks all, I guess it must the enclosure as the computer is only about a year old it may not be firmware.

I will try a new firewire enclosure soon and let you know how I succeed (or not).

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you partition the drive as 2 drives in a different computer, it MAY work. I'm just thinking out loud though...

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Older enclosures had the Oxford 911 chip in them that could not recognize big drives. Get one with the 911-A or B chip & you'll be set :)

9. kish thread starter macrumors newbie

kish

Great, thanks for that info now I won't go out and buy an enclosure with the same old chip.

10. kish thread starter macrumors newbie

kish

OK. I got a new enclosure and had my new hard drive up and running in 10 minutes with full capacity.

The only firewire case available was a compact case that stands on end (vertically instead of horizontally) and has no fan or air vents as a result the drive runs very hot.

I am not happy with this arrangement, the drive standing on its side or the heat (I live in the tropics so its hot enough here).

I am told that hard drives stop for few milliseconds every so often to perform what is known as thermal recalibration, so the hotter the drive runs the more frequently it recalibrates and this can slow performance when working with large files.

I work long hours with a lot of large Photoshop files, so I need speed in writing to disk (the application also creates temp files and uses the hard drive as a scratch disk).

Heat is known to shorten the life of electronic devices so the thought of the drive dying on me and losing weeks of work is not something I cherish.

I know back-up, back-up, back-up.....