Installing a 3rd HD into a powermac

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by shadowfax0, Aug 1, 2002.

1. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

I have a 2x450Mhz G4, and already have 2 HD's, and would like to install a 3rd. The one I was thinking of is an ATA drive. Detailed instructions would be very welcome, thanks!

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

What kind of hard drives do you have now??? Are they ATA or SCSI?? IF you have SCSI drives, then just remove the screw holding the mounting plate from the base of the computer (I suggest using the one close to the ATA port/bus) install the new hard drive in that, plug in the power to the drive and then screw the plate back to the base of the case. Connect the ATA ribbon to the drive, close it up and power on the computer. Launch the Drive Setup utility and initialize the new hard drive.

It really is easy to do, provided you have (and know how to use) the correct size phillips head screwdriver(s). :eek: :D

For more information, look it up in the manual that came with your computer :rolleyes: OR go to this url and check out page 28. I suggest using position 3 for the drive, but that only works if there is room there.

3. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh yeah, sorry, I already have 2 ATA drives, that's why this is a bit difficult. I was looking at it and there is another power cable floating around so I can use that, and I was just thinking of getting a really long ATA strip cord and just having the new drive sit next to my two current drives. Think that will work? If all else fails, I'll just replace my 30 GB HD. Also, can I get a 120 GB SCSI drive, or will that cost $1000? Right now I'm looking at the Western Digital Caviar 120 GB, 7200 RPM, w/8Mb cache. it's about $280, which is the end of my price range. Thanks for the help.

4. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, for reference to the PDF, I want to use POSTION 2 for another ATA Drive, and just use a long ribbon cable, think it'll work?

5. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I have the WD drive and I love it. No problems, and it's fast

VERY fast.

m

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You will need to get an ATA controller card to add a third ATA hard drive. I suggest looking at the Sonnet ATA133 controller card... With that, you can install a 160GB hard drive. The card lists for $99.95, and supports up to four ATA hard drives. If you place slower drives onto the bus, it will slow down all the drives, so only place ATA100 or ATA133 drives onto the PCI card.

Since you need a controller to use a third (and fourth) ATA drive, the included ribbon (with the card or drive) will work fine.

7. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Mephisto macrumors member

This is my first post. I finally found something that I know about :)

I have, currently, 3 ATA HDs in my B/W g3400. 40,60,80 and an external 160giger (ata/133 160gig inside a firewire case) . I just bought another internal 120gig, and now I'm waiting for my Ata166 card to come, so that I can put my 160 and 12 inside my computer and get another 120 for my firewire case.

To put 3 Ata hard drives into my computer, I removed the zip drive that came with my computer. And just replaced the factory HD and added one more. I want to take out my cdrom drive and put a HD in there too, but I'v grown lazy in my years : /

40+60+80+160+120=Lotsa Space For ME :)

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Hmmm, a g3400 you say... funny I don't recall seeing motorola or IBM producing a G3400 processor yet, G3 and G4 yes, but not G3400...

Where are you getting this supposed ATA166 card from??? Put up a valid url so that we can see what the **** you are talking about... :p

10. Mephisto macrumors member

Ok, with my first post, I was a bit lax on my specs.

G3 400 B/W
    ATA/133 (not 166)

Enjoy a good chuckle at my mistakes :(

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I would expect those kind of mistakes from someone using a peecee, but not a Mac. Especially since you made it sound like you know what you are doing. :rolleyes:

You really should have checked over your first post, since you never get a second chance at a first impression (your's wasn't good). :p