Installing a Hard Drive in my MDD G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Dec 28, 2003.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I recently got an 80 GB Hard Drive for my MDD G4, but I couldn't seem to figure out how to install it. Is there an easy way to do this at home, or should I take it to a store to get it installed?

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

The procedure is in your instruction manual for the G4. There are two sets of drive bays, one in the back, which rests vertically, and one in the front, which rests horizontally under the optical drive bays. The bay in the back is ATA/100 and the bay in the front is ATA/66. Which ever one you decide to use, you need to remove the drive carrier. If you feel on the side of the carrier, there is a plastic lever which you squeeze, and at the same time, you pull the carrier out. Once the carrier is out, you'll find extra screws on it. Remove them, and use them to fix your new drive into the carrier once you have slid the new drive in. Set the jumper on the hard drive to "CS" (cable select). Plug in the IDE cable and power cable, and slide the carrier back into place. Thats it! I think there are illustrations and more comprehensive instructions in the instruction booklet. Good luck.