Installing a new hard drive on a mirror drive door G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Impreza, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Impreza macrumors member

Mar 17, 2003
    Over a year ago, I installed a new drive on my dual G4 in the additional bay by the factory hard drive. Now, the problem was that I had a pain trying to remove the old hard drive. So I just left it there and installed the new one next to it. Putting in the vertical hard drive tray was difficult enough as is without dropping screws inside and trying to manuver the darn thing to align correctly, so that took a while and it was very annoying. The instructions on the Apple site and manual were quite vague and not as detailed as I wanted since some things would be easier if I had actual photos and better tips. Ugh, it's like Apple didn't want me to upgrade my hard drives or something by making things difficult. :p

Anyone have a good tutorial (with photos) on how to remove and install hard drives? Now I wanna remove the factory 80 gig, install a 120 gig I have laying around, and pair it with my 200 gig. I just want my 2nd shot at installing a new hard drive as easy as possible. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. evilbert420 macrumors member

Jul 22, 2002
    The two hard drive cage/harnesses unclip and slide out, making it EXTREMELY easy to add/remove hard drives to the MDD G4s.

There is a plastic-covered lever that you pull and slide the bays out; the rear bay (vertical) slides up (towards the power supply) and the front bay (horizontal) slides towards you (obviously).

You're going to be mad that you put the other hard drive in with the cage in the box still....