Installing a printer on a Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by xdarkangelle, Feb 2, 2004.

1. xdarkangelle macrumors newbie

This is my first time working with a mac so I am new to printer installation with it. My printer is a HP deskjet 3550. Every time I install the disk and then try to add the printer it tells me that the driver is not installed even though I have run the installation disk.

Any help with installing a printer would be great!

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

If it's a USB printer is should just see the HP and print. See if there is a test-mode or test-print page. I would exhaust everything on the setup CD.

3. xdarkangelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I figured it should realize the USB (still in an XP state of mind) but instead it tells me I don't have a printer selected and then it says the drivers are not installed. :(

Very confused since I never had trouble hooking up a printer before.

4. altair macrumors regular

So you go into Applications/utilities/printcenter and 'add printer' then select USB and have it automatically detect the printer, and this doesnt' work?

5. xdarkangelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. It says "driver not installed." I'm not sure how to use the print screen function on a Mac. Once I do I can post a picture.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hold Cmd and Shift, then press 3. This will put a PDF on your desktop, containing a screen shot, which you can then post here.

The only problem is that the PDF may exceed MacRumours' size limit. If that happens, do this:

1. Double-click the PDF to open it in Preview.
    2. Go to File -> Export.
    3. Make sure Format is set to JPEG.
    4. Click Options.
    5. Set Target Size to 102400.
    6. Save the JPEG somewhere, and post it online instead of the PDF.