Installing a Windows-shared printer?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dmurray14, Jul 5, 2006.

1. dmurray14 macrumors member

How do I go about doing this? I have an HP photosmart 7760 shared off a windows machine. I would like to be able to print to this from my mac. I've gotten so far as installing it in the printer setup utility, but it doesn't have a "driver" listed for my model. So I went to the HP site and downloaded the drivers, but it's still not showing up in the list. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

When use a Windows-shared printer, you access it from your Mac via your network. The HP driver is intended for a USB connection. You cannot use the MacOS X USB print driver to access a networked printer. However, your HP Photosmart 7760 is fully supported by LinuxPrinting.org. You will find the CUPS driver for your printer here.

3. dmurray14 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for your suggestion - I gave it a go, and for some reason it's not working right. Foomatic-rip is throwing an error on print no matter how I go about it. I may just cave and buy an airport express and do it that way - I always thought the airtunes thing was neat, too, so it'll be worth the money (and now I'll have 3 APs in the house!)

Thanks again!

Dan