Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
USA
I just ordered a Pioneer A-05 Superdrive and plan to install it in my Quicksilver as soon as it arrives. I only have iDVD 2.0 (I may have the version number wrong... its the last FREE version) and was wondering if anyone had problems with an aftermarket Superdrive when they upgraded to iDVD 3.0 (The one shipping with iLife).

The reason I am asking is to see if I should buy iLife.

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
USA
Originally posted by mikeyredk
no probs here i got the a-06 from best buy

Thanks for the info... did you need anything special to install the drive? Also, do you mind if I ask how much the A-06 cost?

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
around $300 with a $30 rebate and no filing required except for a crack that you have to put on for jag the drive is fully supported in panther nativly except for the fact + media still can't be read

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
USA
Very good price on A05... $179 shipped!

I know this thread isn't visited by too many people, but I hope that some people who are thinking about upgrading their computers from a COMBO to a SuperDrive will stop by.

I found an Pioneer A05/105 drive (bare internal) at Macsolutions.com for $179.00 including shipping. That was significantly lower than I've seen it in the past. (May be due to the A06/106) I will update this as soon as I install the drive and see how it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.