Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

globalhiccup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Can someone kindly advise me on how to install the new airport/bluetooth cards on a G5 Quad PowerMac. Yes, I am aware that Apple say this is not a user task! Diagram would help. Thanks in advance.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
This installation requires the Airport Extreme/Bluetooth Module, available from an Apple Service Provider, as well as a Runway Card, available from the same source. The end user can technically perform the install, but both the parts need to be acquired from a service provider.

globalhiccup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
thanks TLRed - I already have the right cards from an authorised dealer, just want to be sure about how to install (no instructions included). The current information on the Apple support sites only relates to previous models of the G5.

randas

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2005
Its generaly the same, put it down on a soft surface- face down and pop off the back

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Its EXTREMELY easy to install. It will take you no more than 5 minutes to install it. Basically, you plug in the 2 antenna's hanging loose inside your PowerMac, and then plug the card into the slot and secure it in with the provided plastic clips. The OS will automatically pick up the card with both AirPort and Bluetooth.

The antennas are a little tricky to get snapped into the card. You need to make sure they're straight up and down and you'll need to apply a little bit of pressure to snap them in place. Just try not to snap them in on an angle. Once you figure out how to do the first one, the second one should be fairly easy. As far as I know, it doesn't matter which antenna goes into which hole, unless I just got really lucky when I installed mine.

I just installed this on my 2.3 GHz Dual Core PCIe PowerMac G5 a few weeks ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.