Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
can an SSD drive be installed on a PowerbookG4?
and if so how can this be done?

Nov 28, 2010
located
thanx but i have no idea what a 2.5" P-ATA (IDE) SSD is :eek:

That is why I linked to search results.
P-ATA is the interface for connecting HDDs and SSDs in G4 PowerBooks, S-ATA is the interface on all Intel MacBooks and MacBook Pros.
As SSDs offer faster speeds, they are preferred to use S-ATA as interface, as S-ATA is faster than P-ATA, thus not many P-ATA SSDs exist and they are quite small and expensive compared to their S-ATA brethren.
http://www.harddrivereport.com/pata_vs_ata_vs_sata_vs_ide.html

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
ok thanx guys now i got a better idea about them those two interfaces , but what about making the installation? any info on that, perhaps a video?

brycemason

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
I followed that guide and had no trouble. If you've never taken apart a computer before it might be intimidating, especially because of the tight plastic seal clamping the top and bottom together. Go slowly, don't force much.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
That model is cake. Just remove the bottom cover and remove the screws holding the HDD caddy in. :D

You can also always use a Compact Flash memory card and the IDE>Comfact Flash adapter.

Eh? You have to take the top case off to get to the hard drive.

Also, Compact Flash to IDE adapter is going to be much much slower.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Eh? You have to take the top case off to get to the hard drive.

Also, Compact Flash to IDE adapter is going to be much much slower.
plz i need some pics to have a little guidance on this
and why will it be much slower? you think it wont be worth it? please tell me more!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.