Installing and Uninstalling

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pauloribeiro13@, Jan 24, 2006.

1. pauloribeiro13@ macrumors newbie

pauloribeiro13@

Hi, i'm sore all of you gonna think i'm really stupid:eek:
    but not, about one week ago i had my frist mac, is a iBook G4
    but the thing is how do you install a download when ask you to chose an application and can't find one?
    And how do you uninstall a program?

thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Your post doesn't make much sense/isn't clear.

You have downloaded something. You want to install it. OSX doesn't know what kind of file it is and asks you to choose an Application to open it but there aren't any available?

So the question to you is: what have you downloaded. Is it a .sit file (some apps are still distributed in this format)? If so you need Stuffit expander. Other than that OSX apps tend to be distributed in .dmg or .zip or .gz formats, all of which OSX can handle.

Or have you downloaded a Windows exe? If so your Mac cannot run that (unless you buy Virtual PC and run it slowly in an emulated Windows environment).

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You uninstall programs in MacOS X by dragging their icons to the Trash. However, newbies have the really bad habit of deleting programs that they need. I suggest very strongly that you don't uninstall anything unless you installed it in the first place.

4. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Hi, i'm sore all of you gonna think i'm really stupid
    but not, about one week ago i had my frist mac, is a iBook G4
    but the thing is how do you install a download when ask you to chose an application and can't find one?
    And how do you uninstall a program?

thanks

Better worded post:

Hi, I'm sure all of you are gonna think I'm really stupid but I'm not. About one week ago I got my first mac, which is an iBook G4. The thing is, how do you install a download when OSX asks you to choose an application and you can't find one. And how do you uninstall a program?

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just remember that not all of us has English as our native language... So be nice... ;)

From the OP's username I would guess we may have a new Portugese speaking member (I'm not too far off I hope), and that robbieduncan and MisterMe probably covered the questions at hand... :)

6. pauloribeiro13@ thread starter macrumors newbie

pauloribeiro13@

:) not at all, I'm from Portugal.
    i just need to know a bit more about mac, I'm completely in the dark.
    I use to have a windows xp, but i always had a thing for mac's and finilly
    got my frist one.
    So if anyone like to help is more then welcome.

thank you all