Installing another internal HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bobdude161, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Wow, i have more questions. i'm just full of em...

Ne ways, i just got my hands on 6 unwanted G3s (what a find!) and they all work. I want to double my disk space and take one of the hard drives from one im not usin and install it into i will be usin. i noticed the G3 has a couple more bays to support more drives and an unused IDE and power supply plug.

well i hooked up the extra HD and the mac doesn't seem to recognize it. made sure my connections were tight. i can here it churnin at start-up but that's about all i hear from it. It worked in it's original case, but not in it's new one. am i missin somethin here?

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

did you check the jumper settings on the drives?
    If you've pulled a drive out of another mac it's probably jumper set to master - like the one already in the machine you're mounting it in.
    the g3 has two IDE channels, a primary and a secondary. Drives on the ribbon coming out of each should be set to master (usually the end one) and slave (for the middle one) using the jumpers on the drive.
    On newer systems the cables are smarter (cable select cables), usually with the end plug black and the middle grey, in which case both drives should be set to CS.

If both drives on a channel are set to master (or slave) it will cause weirdness.

I take it you tried looking for the drive in Disk Utilty? (just in case for some reason it's not mounting, or needs reformatting.)

Less likely, but possible, is that your IDE cable is damaged or overly twisted.

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Both drives set to Master or slave on the same IDE flat cable you'll get no boot up into OS :eek:

so check the the label on each drive to figure out where to put the spacer for the master/slave/CS ..

If you want to use the total 4 drive system that G3 Tower line etc offers then you'd need to switch to sata card pci card here and still got the IDE cable for dvd drive etc..

4. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

yeah ends up frank i didn't know about those jumper settings, but got that fixed and it automatically mounts itself. woot.

and thnx iphil for that info i might be usin that later on. :D

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

np ... i got folder full of links for items etc :eek: :eek:

If i don't have a link for an item then www.Google.com is my backup for item location :D :cool:

6. macmancan macrumors newbie

macmancan

Hey Iphil

Hey PHIL next time you come over bring me one of those g3. YIKES. Now I defintally want to work at frys.

7. macmancan macrumors newbie

macmancan

BY the way

Its definitly not the HD its something to do with your computer hook ups. FIGIT with it, itl come through. PEACE>:)