Installing Applescripts (A dummies guide)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LastLine, Apr 8, 2006.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    Just downloaded some applescript files, but have no idea how to start with them - can anyone offer a good tutorial for me to try and get started with?

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    A number of ways.
    If they are compiled executable scrips they will have a .app extension. Click on them like any application.

If they are scripts (.scpt extension), context click (rt click/ctrl click) and click open with Script Editor, or just click on them and the editor should open. Then save as File Format Application or Application Buldle( if you don't know, then select Application), and unclick Start Up Screen. Click on the new app and it should run. Some scripts are compiled as droplets, so it depends on what the script is supposed to do.

At least this is for basic Apple Scripts. If you have the developer tools installed, I beleive that you have access to the Apple Script Utility in addition to the Apple Script Editor. There are some beautiful uses of advanced Apple Script, like ONYX, which as I understand it, is basicly an advanced version of AS (created with Apple Script Studio). Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Look here Apple Script Basics- an online book with a sense of humor. It has links.

Apple's Apple Script Developer Site Portal

Warning, don't authenticate (provide password) access for the scripts if you are not sure of their source. Trojan scripts are easy to write, but I haven’t seen any. It would be easy to write a script that looked like a disk utility, but instead sent your password to somebody else, or one that after being authenticated copied your address book, or etc... Social engineering is still a hackers greatest exploit. (The odds of this are nearly zero. I have shifty eyed friends.)

AppleScript for Dummies
  3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    Wicked that did just what I wanted :)

I've now got the combine window script for Safari running nicely from the desktop.

Anyone know if there's a more convenient way to use these? (Say a context click in safari or something - they're the official scripts form Apple's site)

Cheers for the hlep so far :D
  4. rob finch macrumors member

Mar 24, 2006
    Hi LastLine,

Does this script change multiple Safari windows into one window with multiple tabs? If so, please could you post me a link to it, I've been after something like this but could not find it.

Thanks, Rob.
  5. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
  6. rob finch macrumors member

Mar 24, 2006
  7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I came to this thread intending to help the OP out by telling about how to use AppleScripts. Instead I found a script that does something I've wished for. Thanks! Now to add the ability to combine multiple tabs from another window into the current one....

For those who don't know about this already, you can put these (and any other scripts) into a script menu in your menu bar. Copy the scripts into /Library/Scripts/Safari and enable the script menu using Applications/AppleScript/AppleScript Utility. Check Show Script Menu in Menu Bar and Show Library Scripts. You'll see a little script icon in your menu bar, which you can click from within any application to run AppleScripts. There are a bunch of useful ones already built-in as well.
  8. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    And I checked back because I had a few minutes to spare and found something really useful out :) Thank you.
  9. Sergio Freitas macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2008
    .sit and .hqx Scripts

I've just downloaded and I have no idea how to install them.

Looking for help.