Installing DD-WRT on a WRT54GL

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yg17, Aug 7, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I got a Linksys WRT54GL, and was wondering if installing DD-WRT was worth it? I know it's got extra features, but I'm worried flashing it will brick my router? Has anyone done this? Worth it? Thanks

2. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

i put openwrt on mine. it worked without problems.

3. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I have also installed openwrt on my linksys, I did break it once, but I simply installed the default linksys firmware over it again and all was good. Just make sure you have a backup of you excisitng firmware, just in case. :D

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Will the extra features benefit you in any way? If not, follow the saying that I'm sure you've already played through your head: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

5. PatrickF macrumors 6502

For me DD-WRT is well worth the effort. It should flash without any problems, just make sure you download the right image.

Even for the simple fact that you can change the signal power is worth it. Also, I've had no more drop-out problems with Airport on my MBP since I upgraded my WRT54G from the default firmware (not sure if this is then related to me increasing the signal power).

6. xtqqtxxx macrumors member

Where did you buy the WRT54GL?

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

NewEgg

8. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I have installed DD-WRT many times, and never had a problem. I have also installed many of the other firmwares, such as sveasoft, etc. I currently have DD-WRT on my WRT54G V2.

Kimo

9. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Wds

If you want to do WDS with Airport Express, dd-wrt or similar is a must. I have a V5 wrt54g with the micro version of dd-wrt and it's definitely worth it.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I've got open-wrt on mine (WRT54G V4) as I originally intended to use it in client mode. Now I'm using it in WAP more, since the iMac won't talk to my provider's Westell 327W.

Never got the Airport Express to work with it in WDS though despite trying extensively...

B

11. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

How do you get DDWRT on a v5? I also have a WRT54g v5 and wouldn't mind having DD on that too

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

13. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I have an Airport Express in WDS mode to extend my wrt54g coverage to our guest apartment. Works great. Just google (airport express WDS) and you'll find a couple guides. Initially you have to configure it using the ethernet connection and set it to it's own ssid (new network), not the same one as your router, although you put it in WDS mode and assign the router's MAC address. You also have to make sure you turn of DHCP on the AE, as the router will be providing the IP addresses and internet access. Once you have it set up and tested, you can change the ssid to match the router.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I think that's what I tried (among many things), but Will try again this weekend if I get a chance. Thanks for the tip.

B

15. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Here's screen shots from Airport Admin showing my config. I think everything relevant is shown. I believe you are limited to WEP security. I'm in the middle of nowhere, so I don't bother. You can always use MAC address filtering on your router to prevent someone hacking you easily. Note that on the Airport screen, I've already changed the ssid to match my router; you want to start with something different. Also, you have to set the channel number to the same one your router uses. Finally the MAC address requested on the WDS screen is the address of your router's wifi interface. HTH

Attached Files:

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I just got this router last night and put dd-wrt on it. But i'm having problems getting WPA2 to work with my Mac (PowerBook G4, 10.4.7)...if i configure the router for WPA2 my Mac only works with it if i put it on WPA (not WPA2) when entering the password for it (even though the router is still configured for WPA2)

Anyone have a similar problem?

17. Trippy Jr macrumors member

Worked very well for me - it's pretty easy. If you're scared, just keep the guides open in different tabs while you do the work.

Personally, I think it's worth it just to change the Xmit power of the router. I live in a house with four floors, and I'm two away from the router. It used to be a lot weaker with my old Netgear, but DD WRT + upping Xmit from 28 to 70 (out of a maximum of 251!) works like a charm. No signal drop out at all, and no discernable effect on anything else.

18. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah rebooting the router and the computer did the trick. WPA2 is working now and i have also upped the xmit power