Installing Diablo 2 in OS X?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Hydra, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Hydra macrumors regular

Hydra

I just got my new 12" iBook and fetched the OS X installer from Blizzard's web page put the installer doesn't recognize my install disc, it just spits it out and keeps asking for the install disc. :confused:

My Diablo 2 is old windows only version but the LoD expansion cd seems to have mac stuff in it too. Is it the problem? I would have thought the separate OS X installer could install the windows version as well. :(

Here's a video of it happening: 13MB AVI clip

2. JasonL macrumors regular

I tried to install it the other day and had a bugger of a time, too. I eventually gave up (and played Warcraft 3 for a bit) figuring that I'd be spending all of my gaming time on WoW soon enough anyway.

The problem for me went something like this. I did the install but when trying to run the game a message popped up telling me to download the patch from Blizzard that would allow D2 to run natively on OS X. After I downloaded that I could never get the game to play...just got error message after error message.

I think I may try again later today; I'm interested to hear other peoples' experiences with installing this game on OS X.

3. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

no problems

I didn't have any problems intalling D2 or D2x on my new G5 iMac. I d/l'd the OS X installer and all went well. As belabored in other threads, all of my discs are dual installers.

I know there are experts in these forums that must have knowledge on "Win only" install discs from Bliz? Though some might argue that you don't have a single-platform installer in your hands.

dot

4. Hydra thread starter macrumors regular

Hydra

I'm still here without working Diablo 2, hmm maybe I'll try to look into the matter next weekend if nothing turns up. :confused:

5. bux macrumors regular

You need to have the hybrid discs to install the game.
    So if you buy the game again now you will get the hybrid discs (PC and Mac), but I think blizzard are willing to swap the non-hybrid discs to hybrid discs.
    I read it somewhere at blizzards support page... but the game is really cheap now so it's not any much money to "re-buy" it.