Installing different OS on external HD

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Juventuz, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I just got my hands on a copy of OS 9 and I'd like to install it on an external HD that I have. I switched to the Macs in 2002 so I never really got to play with OS 9 and I'd like to see just how different it is from OSX.

Now onto my question, if I install OS 9 onto an external HD will it erase everything I've got saved on it? I have a 120 gig HD that I used to backup my PB and for other files, I've got abou 30 gigs free and would like to put OS 9 on part of that. Will it delete my saved files or will it install the OS without a problem?

Thanks

2. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

yes it will delete all of your files. your only option would be to back everything up onto another drive and partition the drive for both OS 9 and your storage needs. its none of my business but if you came to the Mac in 2002 there is really no reason to even look at OS 9. unless of course you just have OS fever and need to see something new. i have it too. hell, im still running BeOS at home.

3. Juventuz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I just wanted to play around with a different OS, but from what you're telling me it might not be worth it if it overwrites everything.

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

well you COULD partition the drive beforehand with Disk Utility. then back everything up. then put everything back and then install OS 9 into the new free partition. really more trouble than it's worth to play with OS 9 for a few hours.

if you're looking to play with another OS go for something fun and powerful like BeOS, or Yellowdog Linux. in fact you can download Suse for PPC for free.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No, NO, No, No, NO

Installing OS9 will not wipe out your HD. I just installs the OS9 System Folder ans supporting folders onto the hard drive. You should have no problem. The only variable is if your computer can run OS9 straight up. Remember all new machines, and most since the beginning of '03 can't run it alone, some even before that. Do some research on if your machine can even take OS9 before trying, otherwise, you will only be able to run Classic apps in Classic.

TEG