Installing existing software to new iMac without disk drive.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lucasfunkt, Oct 28, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Quick question about software on the iMac.

I have Adobe Lightroom 3 on my macbook pro and it is my understanding that I am allowed to use it's licence on 2 computers, so I want to use it on the new iMac when I eventually get it. How will I go about installing it, will I have to purchase an external DVD reader or is there another way.

Also I have Quicktime Player 7 on my macbook pro which I had to pay £20 for, am I going to have to do this again for the iMac or can I just copy it over?

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just download the LightRoom demo from adobe and then plug in your serial #. The demo is the same product on the CD

3. simsaladimbamba

You could use the MBPs optical disk drive (ODD) and insert any CD or DVD into it and copy off the contents off that CD or DVD via Finder or Disk Utility*
    Then you can use the copied contents to copy them onto another external HDD or via network to the iMac.

Or you can use Remote Disc Sharing: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287

* How To Make Copies of DVDs - the first steps to create a CD or DMG are the ones useful for this, I did so with many of my software CDs and DVDs to store the optical media somewhere else and have the CDRs and DMGs easily available via an external HDD

----------

Thought about that too, but Adobe does not offer trials of older versions of their applications that easily.

Adobe trials for CS3 to CS 5.5

4. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're right - I forgot about that LR is on version 4.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, very useful.

How about Quicktime 7, am I going to have to pay for it twice?

6. simsaladimbamba

I do not know about QuickTime, you can probably use the serial again on your new iMac.

7. macrumors regular

cooky560

As soon as I get anything on DVD, I make a DMG image and restore it onto a new partition on my USB HDD. It has about 50 partitions so far :p Means I will be ready for when this mac dies and there is no ODD

8. simsaladimbamba

Why the need for partitions? Wouldn't it simply suffice for you to store the DMG onto an external HDD and mount that?

9. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

I'm still using my QT7 Pro auth code from three machines ago with Mountain Lion on a 2012 MBA, no problem.

10. macrumors member

Do you actually pay for your software?

Making a DMG. from your disc seems the best option tho :D

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder about using the fusion drive, it automatically puts your applications on the SSD, if I were apple I'd check for authentic purchasing when doing that.

But I guess those of us who pirate have nothing to fear there?

12. macrumors regular

cooky560

Some of the partitions contain installers for various OSX versions

The rest are partitioned based on type of application