Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Hi all,

I recently got a new computer at work with a core 2 duo proc. Unfortunately we do everything with Windows at work. I'm already running the single core version of the no-nonsense text console. How can I use both cores/have two instances of F@H running? I've always been a Mac guy, so don't know a lot about Windows (because it really annoys me!!), so please walk me through this installation! BTW, I'm using XP on this pc.

Best regards, Dreadnought

P.s. I'm back folding 24/7 (with the pc@work) and claim back my position in the top 50. So look out 4JNA, Atszyman and Redeye

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Last thing I heard was that there was going to be a fully multiprocessor aware universal version of the F@H client soon. Have you checked the Stanford site?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
You might search the archives to get a more precise account of it for dual processors since I wrote it back in 2003 or 2004. It should work for dual cores as well.

You need to create a folder for the application and its files plus an enclosed data folder. Run the configuration (-config) to set the machine i.d. in the advanced options. Once you have those things set, you will need to go into the Properties dialog of the executable and change the command line to add -local and the data folder name in path form.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Wright! Will be experimenting with it tomorrow. I'll copy the existing folder, change the settings; set the ID to 2 and do some other settings and trash the unit it is working on. Seems simple enough, but with windows you'll never know!

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
sounds like you already got it, but a seperate folder for each client (fah1, fah2) and run the executable from a command window (c:\fah1 OR fah2\fah504.exe -local -config) to set it up. make the second client machine number 2 in the advanced options.

if it can run all the time, set it to start as a service when windows starts to make life easy. when the computer is on, it's folding. you can right click on my computer > manage > services > services on the right windows > scroll down to find 'fah...' and right click to start/stop as needed.

it will still crash on occasion as both cores get assigned the same number work unit (project number, not same unit). one unit's log will say something about 'already see this running, will not check again upon restart' so you just have to restart the client that shut down and away it goes again until next time.

any troubles, post a message!

run run run as fast as you can, can't catch me...:p

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
it will still crash on occasion as both cores get assigned the same number work unit (project number, not same unit). one unit's log will say something about 'already see this running, will not check again upon restart' so you just have to restart the client that shut down and away it goes again until next time.

Sounds like you don't have it set up separately, if that's happening. I've not run into that problem ever and I've been running dual processes since version 2.x first allowed more than one process.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
Sounds like you don't have it set up separately...

set up separately (fah1 and fah2), set as a service, happened about 6 times on 4 different dually machines in the last 6 months. reported it to stanford, and they indicated that it had been reported by others, seemed to be specific protiens, and went through my set up with me. only thing we changed was to 'split' the available ram between both clients. that is to say, the machine has 1gb, and each client was told 512mb available. have not had a shut down since, but don't know if the memory split or different protiens is the reason.

have also had several single client windows boxes being assigned to the linux assignment server lately. the clients hang with no work to do. delete the work/cache, and restart seemed to fix those.

no idea, just thought i would mention it. maybe they just don't like me... anyway, just didn't want dreadnought to waste any time trying to catch me. ;)

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I have the same with the second FAH app. It just quit after one percent completed. It says I/O error and couldn't calculate checksum. This is very strange. Maybe I have done something wrong with the second FAH. I just downloaded it, installed it in a seperate folder and renamed the FAHconsole.exe to FAHconsole2.exe. With the setup I changed the machine ID to 2, the rest is normal. It also asked how much ram it could use, I just filled in 100 MB. This should be all, shouldn't it? I really would like to have the second core folding, and kick some 4NJA! :D

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
After a couple of days folding 24/7 on my new C2D at work I can say it works on both cores. The only thing you'll need to do is install it twice, in different folders and rename one FAHconsole.exe. At setup go into the advanced options and when it asks for machine ID, type 1 for the first core/first folding app and 2 for the other core/second folding app. The first couple of WU's can give errors on the second folding app. Leave that and it should work it out by itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.