Installing Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by janzenman, Mar 19, 2006.

1. janzenman macrumors newbie

Trying to install Final Cut Pro 5 onto my new iMac G5. The program downlaods but won't open. It keeps giving me a configuration error, which reads: "This software requires certain hardware of software which is not available: 512 MB of memory." Since my conputer has 512 MB of RAM and 1.87 ghz, I can't figure out what the problem is. Should I just take the computer or the program back, since this is the entire reason I bought the computer, or is there a solution?

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

hmm. I have FCP5 running no problem on my iMac G5. However I do have 1.5Gb of RAM. Could it be that FCP required 512Mb of Free/Available RAM. Are you running any other applications?

3. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Try erasing your fcp5 preferences file and re-opening.

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Yeah, try adding more RAM, don't do anything without trying that.

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

yeah, more RAM

you will have a tough time using Final Cut Pro (or pretty much anything on your iMac) with only 512MB of RAM...throw in a gig and you'll have a much better time. Don't know why it won't run with 512, might be the available RAM issue that Danski suggested...

6. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

1.87GHz?

Are you sure it's a G5? There were 1.8GHz, 1.9GHz, 2.0GHz and 2.1GHz models of iMac G5, but no 1.87Ghz ones.

Might you be talking about the 1.83GHz iMac Core Duo? If that's the case, FCP 5 won't install on it until the Universal Binary variety is out, which is supposed to be available by the end of this month by way of an up-to-date / disc-mail-in program.

7. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

is it an intel imac? if so you need to get the universal disks from apple?
    have you got QT7
    get more ram, at least 1 gig more.