Installing from an external drive?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by JacobsHorse, Dec 9, 2003.

1. JacobsHorse macrumors newbie

Dec 9, 2003
    I have an iBook G3 700, which had the built-in CD drive removed during an altercation with a flight of stairs.

Q: Is it possible to install 10.3 from an external CD drive (Firewire), or am I stuck with 10.1.x til the end?
  2. Noiseboy macrumors regular

Dec 25, 2002
    Lurking nearby.
    Is the case damaged too badly to fit a new cd drive? MCE technology will do one about $250. you can find them at
    I don't know if you can install from an external cd drive but I would think it would be possible to start your iBook up in target disk mode connected to another Mac and to install it from there. I shall wait and see what others have to say on that score and I'll be interested to know. Good luck.
  3. Pismo macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2002
    It'll work

Yes, you can install OS X from an external CD drive. I've used mine to install OS X several times. Just reboot with the CD in the external drive and hold down the "C" key. If that doesn't work, hold down the alt/option key and select the drive.

Looks like I'll be doing the same thing from now on because the DVD drive in my Pismo has died (again).
  4. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    I've installed all versions of Mac OS X (including OS X.3) with my LaCie FireWire CD-RW drive on my Dual USB iBook and it works perfectly. I do that because that drive reads at 40x and the drive in my iBook reads at 24x so the installation goes a little faster!

If you place your CD in the drive and let it appear then open up the CD and double click on Install Mac OS X. You get a screen asking for an administrator password...put that in, click ok, then click restart and it should know to boot from your FireWire drive.