installing games on consoles ... the way of the future or just closer to the PC?

Discussion in 'Games' started by takao, Oct 21, 2006.

1. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)

after i read this i don't know what to think about it ... on the postive side there is the reduction of loading times because of slow discs but on the other side it just a step closer to good old fashioned PC gaming .. sure this generation (ps3,360,wii) it might only play a role in terms of caching but i'm somehow worried that next generation the line between pc games and consoles get even blurred more...

not that the porting is already getting mroe and more insane ... i just read thursday that MS will be bringing gears of war for PC as well next year

will be "put game in and start playing without downloading patches " a thing of the past in 7 years or so ?
  2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006
    No loading times? I vote for a return to cartridges. None of the ubiquitous FMV, terrible voice 'acting' and streamed music just to justify the massive storage.
  3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    I could understand if it dumped it as it needs it, so the first time you load a level it takes 20 seconds, but if it's a long, drawn out experience like FFXI, then heyull no