Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSalmonThief

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
I downloaded GIMP from the website to install on my 2.16Ghz MacBook Pro, and was told I needed to install X11 from the OS X install disc, which I have. So first I installed the big developer's tools thing, which I believe installed X11... and then GIMP still wouldn't start, so I went back and found "X11SDK.pkg", installed that, and then GIMP still gave me the "requires X11 from "Optional Installs" on OS X disc.

So, any ideas? Thanks :\

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes, you're not installing the right thing... You don't need Dev Tools or the X11 SDK. Put in Install DVD 1, and run the Optional Installs package on the disc. When you get to the screen with the options you can install, expand the "Applications" one and you will see X11 as an option. Select it and follow the prompts.

TheSalmonThief

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2006
Ah, many thanks, the problem is solved... while I'm here, is there a shortcut/hotkey for the Expose function?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
TheSalmonThief said:
Ah, many thanks, the problem is solved... while I'm here, is there a shortcut/hotkey for the Expose function?

LOL glad you've got X11 working.

The shortcut keys for the Exposé functions are set in System Preferences -> Dashboard and Exposé. By default it's F9, F10, and F11, to show all, show all for current app, and show desktop.

But while you're there, check out the hot corners feature that is set up in the same place. You can trigger Exposé and Dashboard by flicking the mouse to a screen corner. This is the waaaay cool way to do it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.