Installing hard drive on G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DEXTERITY, Mar 11, 2006.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if someone could please help me. I'm trying to install two new hard drives on my old G4. There is one screw (on the old hard drive which is there now) which is in the bottom right hand corner (if your looking into the g4) which is very close to the casing of the G4. Does anyone know how to remove it? no matter how small of a screw driver I try I cant fit it back there.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here or it is just that hard to get to. But I would appreciate any help. Once I get that out I'm home free.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Are you talking about the one screw that holds the HDD "cage to the back of the G4 case after you "slip" the cage onto the knotch?

There are some tuotrials on the bottom right on this page.

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You do know you have to removed the drive "sleds" before you install drives onto them, right? You won't be able to reach the screws that are holding in the drives without first removing the whole sled. It's really, really easy to remove. There's 1 screw in the front middle of each drive sled. Once you take the sled out, mount the HD on it from the bottom (or from the side if you're using the one doubled drive sled) and then screw that one screw in the sled back into the G4.

Here's the best picture I could find of a drive sled"

[​IMG]

This would be a picture of drive sled 1 and 2...3 looks different, because it can hold 2 drives. Opening the door on your G4 towards you, from left to right you'll see a single sled, single sled, double sled (1, 2, and 3 in my above numbering).

On the middle, bottom, see the screw hole? That attaches to the bottom of the computer, and the back of the sled has those 2 tabs which kinda hook in when you slide it in.

You have to be in there to understand what I'm talking about, but maybe that helps.

4. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's that simple.....maaaaan son of a lol. Thank you so much. I'm so stupid. I'm sitting here thinking who in the hell can reach that screw lol. Both of my hard drives are in slot 3 (stacked on top of one another). I could have finished this last night ,lol. Thank you very much. This site is always a life saver. Hopefully it's that easy on the G5.

Since I'm replacing my system and anotherinternal hard drive I can just hit control c (or whatever the short cut is to start up from a CD) and start up from the system disk and install like that?

thanks again

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

For the G5 hard drive install is here :eek:

6. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

sweet thanks. thats actually where I purchased the hard drives from. I guess I should have read the site..

7. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The install videos are located in different area of the site from the harddrive section .. all videos are under Tech Support tab.. :eek: :cool:

Direct linky to tech videos

8. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Just C on startup will boot from a CD in the drive. If you need to get a CD in the drive, start your powermac, and hit the eject button on the powermac a few times (not the keyboard) and it'll open. Power down, then start up again with C held down. Then you can pick which internal drive to install onto. :)

10. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

np. the video help i use that .. but if you need cheap ram go here or here Both are Used by many MR members but it's people's preference on ram sites.. :eek:

11. iGary Guest

iGary

You're welcome, I posted it right after your initial request. ;) :p

12. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you. and Iphil thanks for the tip on the ram site. I am definitely going to upgrade the G5 again.