Installing HD into DP 450?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by DreaminDirector, Sep 20, 2002.

1. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

I've run out of space (got 2 Gigs left) on my hard drive in my 450 dual and was wondering how I go about installing another internal hard drive. I want to get something in the 80-120GB range. Any recommendations, experiences or sites you guys can refer me to?

Thanks party-peeps.

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

id say...get yourself two drives of the same exact type. get either two 40s or two 80s. there is a GREAT western digital drive, i dont remember the name, that has 8MB of cache on each drive. this way you can run a raid array. even tho it is software raid, youll see a great increase in reliability and access time. if you do this, beware that os 9 cannot boot off of a raid array, you must boot it from the old HD.

3. DreaminDirector thread starter macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

raid array?

uh oh, did I get in over my head? (Pardon my newbiness) What's a raid array? And would I have to remove my current hard drive if I get two of the same or do you mean having a total of three internal hard drives? Can I fit that many in there? And I was looking at the Western drives and wanted to know which are the best for video editing? How big of a cache do I need on each one?

4. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

i disagree with the raid option. it sounds like it is not for you. forget about understanding it. drives are cheap. i like the ibm drives i have in my comp, but i doubt they are the best deal or quality. try cnet.com for reviews

5. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

I have three internal HD's in my DP 450. Installation is very very easy, took me all of five minutes. To install them, look in the Apple Care Knowledge Base, they have a great tutorial with images. I have the original 30 GB, a Maxtor 60 GB 7200 RPM, and a (THE!) Western Digital 20 GB Special Edition with 8MB cache, this thing is GREAT! Seriously, I have it for my videos, I can play about 20+ QT movies at a time with NO lag. I HIGHLY recommend it, it's proven to be a very good buy. Also, if you want to add more than one more (i.e have more that two internal drives) that aren't SCSI, then go to www.sonnettech.com, and youll ahve ot get a PCI IDE/ATA hookup to support more drives, (the motherboard only supports two) I got a Tempo/133, which supports up to 4 more drives, and the 133 is for ATA/133, which is the newest and fastest ATA. So anyhow, good luck!

6. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Not IBM

Don't get IBM. They have the lowest mean time between failure of any HD I've ever seen. One of the best is Western digital, but if you go with them, keep the drives horizontal. Otherwise it'll start making some funny (and deadly to the HD) noises.

7. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Re: Not IBM

listen to this guy, my previous post was not based on science, just my personal experience with the 2 ibm drives i have. please dont mistake my sample size of two for a strong endorsement for ibm.

8. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

somethin' to think about...

Just keep in mind that if you're looking for a drive to hold your video, seek times and RPM's are the information you want to look for on the box. 80 GB of space is the same amount of space on a 5400 RPM drive as it is on a 10,000 RPM drive, but the 10,000 RPM drive will play back video MUCH more smoothly. And if the price is relatively the same (at least within $100), then the faster you get, the happier you'll be.

Who says money can't buy happiness?
    Good luck with the drive - I've got a Maxtor 80GB in my 500MP and haven't had one iota (sp) of trouble - for two years, and I almost never turn the machine off.

Oh, and 1 more thing...
    Not trying to get over your head, but if you use the first 10 gigs of the drive as it's own partition, then you can use it as a backup system software drive for those days when your machine feels a little "less than fresh." Apple's "Drive Setup" can do that (for OS 9) and Disk Utility (0S X) - both are included in the OS's, as well as a whole host of other 3rd party utilites for the job. They all seem to work pretty well.

Again - good luck:)