Installing iLife '05; precautions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GFLPraxis, Jun 23, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've got myself iLife '05 and am ready to install it. While I recently backed up my iPhoto library it'd be a big pain to have to restore it. I've heard some stories of data loss, so what precautions should I take to make sure my iPhoto '04 library is protected when I install '05?

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Beyond backing it up there is not a lot more you can do.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Back it up so that you can revert if necessary. Once the library has updated, you can't go back easily.

And run the iPhoto 5.0.2 software update before you open iPhoto 5 for the first time to update your library.

4. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I think I remember someone suggesting to rebuild your iPhoto library or something like that...very vague, sorry.

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Export your photos to another disc, install iLife 05, if there are any problems with your library after it's been updated, you can import the missing pics.

I've installed iLife 05 over 04 on a PowerBook and an eMac with no problems at all.

6. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I just used Backup to save EVERYTHING to a 20 GB iPod last week, don't worry about that.

7. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Just copy the whole library and paste it somewhere else, in your documents folder for example. Install iLife '05, open iPhoto, see if everything is still there. If there's something missing, reimport your pics, if not, move your back-up to the trash.