installing iLife 06

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Arip, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Arip macrumors regular

i have just bought iLife 06, and want to install it

do i have to first uninstall iLife 05? or just install 06 on top of the first one?

if i have to uninstall it, how do i do? just erase the program?

Thanks! (yes, im a newbie :p )

2. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

You can install iLife '06 right over iLife '05. All applications will be upgraded automatically.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Welcome!!

OK, just run the installer (it's that cardboard box in the iLife window that pops up when you insert the DVD. From here it's basically click "yes" to everything until it gets to a page with a "customise" button at the bottom. From here you can either select to install the whole lot or click the "customise" button and select what you want to install. I chose not to install iDVD (no burner), not to install the GarageBand demo songs, jingles and sound effects and had I been thinking properly I would have left out the iWeb templates in other languages besides english. This allowed me to save quite a bit of space on my little hard drive.

If you've got plenty of room and as you say you are a newbie to this I'd leave the customise button alone and just go the full installation - you'll get the full iLife experience in this way.

No need to uninstall anything, just run the iLife '06 installer till it's finished and you're set. iPhoto will want to update your photo library and rebuild the thumbnail caches - it takes a while but let it do it's work, it's amazingly quick compared to iPhoto 6. Everything else will just launch.

I restarted my computer once I'd finished the iPhoto stuff, it took a little longer to reboot than I'd though but everything is running as smooth as silk.

4. Arip thread starter macrumors regular

thank u both

i just upgraded my ilife, its just awesome!