Installing iLife from Panther restore on Tiger system...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PCM, Sep 27, 2005.

1. PCM macrumors regular

Ok, so I just got an older dual 1.8 g5 brand new and it came with Panther installed and tiger in a box. So I naturally did an erase and install and started fresh with Tiger. But didn't realize until afterwards that iLife isn't included with the Tiger OS. So can I install the iLife from my g5 Panther restore disks onto my Tiger OS? Where is iLife located on the installer?

I also have a new install of OS 10.3 on an external hard drive...is it possible for me to just drag the apps (iDVD, iPhoto, and Garageband) to my Applications folder or are there some files in the Library etc. that need to be moved as well?

Any help is much appreciated...

THX.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Naturally? Another clean install victim... I wish people would learn!

Check the disks that came with the G5. One should be labeled "Applications." You should be able to run the installers for each one individually from the CD.

3. PCM thread starter macrumors regular

sorry should have been more clear. Will the lLife that came with Panther run on tiger?

thx.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Yes it will work.

Most of the time it is as easy as booting off the original restore CD and clicking Install Bundled Apps.

5. PCM thread starter macrumors regular

Please elaborate.... people won't learn if you just talk ish and don't actually explain what you're getting at....

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sorry I should have been more clear. I was reacting mainly to your statement that you "naturally" erased the hard drive. I don't understand the impulse to wipe hard drives and install from scratch, especially on a brand new Mac, like the one you have. I hear frequently on these boards from people who run into similar, unanticipated problems when they clean install -- lost passwords, software, files, and such. It just isn't necessary and under normal circumstances is potentially much more harmful than it will ever do any good. That's what I meant.

7. PCM thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for elaborating. Tiger was buggy as hell when archive and installed so it was my only option. THX.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I recommend straight upgrades in nearly every situation. Even archive and install isn't often necessary or useful, especially on a new Mac. The trick seems to be upgrade to Tiger, then run software update right away.

9. insch macrumors newbie

I too have this issue. I had to do a clean install because my hard drive died. I am currently running Tiger on my G5 and have lost iLife. I recently bought a new Powerbook and the Tiger discs that came with it have iLife bundled. But that bundle won't install on my G5. Any ideas why not? Have Apple fixed it that way?

If I can't get this bundle to work I will need to install iLife in another way. I looked on the original install discs for the G5 but they only have the option of 'Install Applications and Classic Support' - all or nothing - I can't choose just iLife. I downloaded Pacifist but it didn't find iDVD - I found most of the other iLife apps. Actually all I need is iDVD and iPhoto - nothing else.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

10. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Yes. Because the software was for that machine only. It was not so you could install it on every other machine you have.
    If they're not on the install discs for the G5 then you should buy the full version. iDVD should be on there though if it was preinstalled on the machine. If not you should really buy a legal copy. I will say one thing to you though - 'Target Disk Mode'. Figure the rest out for yourself.

11. insch macrumors newbie

Thanks Caveman.

Actually, believe it or not, I would be happy to buy a copy of iLife if it will solve the real problem. I am trying to burn a successful DVD-R to play on a domestic DVD player. I am having problems with Toast and would like to try iDVD to see if I have more success. I don't want to invest in iDVD if it won't solve this issue since I don't need any other features of the programme. I am using Innobits BitVice to encode and don't need menus etc.

I am aware of Target Disk Mode (used it the other day to run Disc Warrior on my G5 to fix a slow laptop that didn't have enough RAM to run the programme effectively) but I'm not sure how it will help me here. I basically have a legitimate copy of iDVD on one of my machines but the wrong one. It doesn't have a Superdrive. The other machine does. The way I see it, if I can't get iDVD on the right machine for this test, I somehow need to find a way for the laptop to use the G5's Superdrive. I don't believe that TDM will let me do that - and I tried. So, I'm a bit confused as to how it will help me in this instance.

best

12. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Boot machine with iDVD in target disk mode. Mount on the machine without iDVD. Drag iDVD onto machine without iDVD. Unmount other machine. You have iDVD on both machines.

Does that make it more obvious? :rolleyes:

13. insch macrumors newbie

thanks

I had thought about copying iDVD from one machine to another (there are many ways to do that) but is it as simple as that - just dragging the iDVD application - aren't there other associated files floating around in various locations?

best

14. kathymoore macrumors newbie

that's what I did and it worked perfectly!

15. insch macrumors newbie

Caveman

It appears to have worked! Thank you. You've saved me a lot of hassle indeed - now I've just got to work out how to create a DVD in iDVD without one of those horrible menus!

best

16. PCM thread starter macrumors regular

will this work with iphoto and imovie as well?

17. insch macrumors newbie

I haven't tried iMovie because I don't use it but it seemed to work with iPhoto, although I do seem to have some issues with some of my images not displaying (but I think that's another issue). I did notice that the iDVD help menu doesn't seem to be fully functional but otherwise it seems fine.

best