Installing Linux on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by markiv810, Feb 19, 2007.

1. markiv810 macrumors regular

I am interested in buying MacPro for my office, we are going to use Linux as our primary os and would be using Tiger/ Leopard too. We are buying the MacPro to run Mathematica and Matlab, since Matlab is not a universal binary we would be running it on Linux, also should I go for 32-bit or 64-bit version of Linux. Please advice, thanks in advance.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes, you can install Linux on your mac pro. matlab is working on a universal binary version....i currently have a student beta version right now.....

3. waremaster macrumors 6502

Have you successfully installed Linux on a Mac Pro or did you do it in parallels? If you did install Linux without parallels could you please tell me which distro you have installed?

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I don't know if it would be possible to run Linux with bootcamp, even though I don't see why now seeing as how we could do it with PPCs, I myself am running Ubuntu in parallels. That runs fine. the VM has no idea that it is not running on its own computer. justing an Ethernet bridge, sound bridge, and the what like. It all works rather slick.

5. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

I have successfully installed Linux on the 24" iMac (dual booting worked fine), I installed Fedora Core 6 on the iMac with no issues. Installing Linux on the Mac Pro hasn't been that simple, the main choice in terms of Distro would be Fedora, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu and Gentoo, running Matematica and Matlab in parallels would not be a good option in my opinion. Throritically speaking if I am able to install Linux on the 24"iMac, I should be able to do the same on Mac Pro.

6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

7. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

Installing Ubuntu on Mac Pro, which version did you install the 32-bit or the 64-bit. I don't want to use Parallels, want a normal dual boot machine running Linux and Mac OS X natively.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i haven't myself, but i read somewhere where other people have.

and again, to the OP, Matlab is working on a Universal Binary version...:apple:

9. Noo2Mac macrumors newbie

I am considering the same thing. I would like to install 64 bit linux on a Mac Pro specifically to run 64 bit matlab. I want the 64 bit linux so I have this option, but I haven't tried it yet. Mac matlab is 32 bit, also linux on the parallel desktop is 32 bit so it will have to be installed on a separate partition. Has anyone done this successfully or unsuccessfully? I'd like to know what I'm getting into! :eek:

10. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone here installed 64-bit Linux on Mac Pros, what were install issues while installing (if any), and I am thinking of Fedora Core 6 x86_64 or Ubuntu x86_64.

11. Seeq macrumors newbie

I tried installing Fedora and Ubuntu (64 bit versions) on my schools Mac Pro labs and didn't have much success, only the 32 bit versions seemed to work fine except with no sound and the dvd drives didn't work that well. It's not what i wanted, but I'm managing. From what I've heard via this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=234676&page=12 that the latest 64 bit releases for Feisty Fawn (set to be released in April) are working on Mac Pros.

I would definately check out the Intel Mac section in the Ubuntu forums as they are very helpful. http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=211

Hope this helps.

12. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot man, you have helped me out, I would wait for the official version of Ubuntu 7.04, probably would be able to get the DVD drive, the graphics card working. Thanks again for giving the link to the Ubuntu discussion forum.

13. Seeq macrumors newbie

No problem.;)

14. sjatkins macrumors newbie

what ubuntu 64 bit?

On Edgy the only 64 bit version I saw is predominantly for AMD. It says it is also for a particular Intel tech that the Mac Pro chipset supports. So I tried it. The installation bombed out complaining that mine is not an AMD based system. That was under parallels. When I try to directly boot the CD the Mac Pro freezes about at the point where the live disk is loading file systems. After a longish time it puts up some nasty font console messages about not being able to read the CD drive. So exactly what are people doing that is working. I have seen different claims on different boards but none of them seem to work for me. And I am not alone. So what gives? Really.

15. Seeq macrumors newbie

Like I said and some other before, any Ubuntu release from Edgy and Previous attmepting to run their 64 bit version suck. Try the Ubuntu Feisty herd releases they actually work really well. I tested it on on of the Mac Pro's at my school and haven't encountered nearly as man problems than I did with Fedora or Ubuntu Edgy 64 bit versions.

16. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I'm trying to install FF 7.04 x64 on my mac pro now.. and the live cd boots and installs just fine. After the install ubuntu tells me to take the cd out and reboot to use ubuntu... but when i reboot, the mac just hangs and hangs and hangs.. nothing.

I have to reboot into osX, the half of the harddrive I installed ubuntu on is missing.. but the system just will NOT boot off of it. Start-up disk doesn't see it either.

Any ideas?

17. Bwa macrumors 6502

Has anyone pulled this off with the 2008 Mac Pros?