Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eromero90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
So I have a late 2009 15 MacBook pro with a 320 HD/4GB of RAM/ 2.53 Intel Core2 Duo. Installed Lion and after the install, it kept crashing and kernel panicking during the intro video. After several attempts of repairing the HD, it worked, yet I had no sound when on my account and the system was very slow. I was able to downgrade back to snow leopard by simply inserting my full DVD of snow Leopard and proceeded the install and had no issue.

Now, I have created a small partition at least of 11 GB for Lion only, thought this time I don't have my BootCamp partition which I believe it could have affected the install since in the new partition, everything works fine no issue at all.

Thinking of installing Lion on top of my main user again and hopefully it works again, but if you don't want to risk loosing your information, simply create another partition.

tecknical

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
strange. I've been using it on my main system since it came out and I've had no problems. But I also do daily Time Machine backups :D

Paradoxeon

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2010
Hmm. Can you tell me how you managed to fix the kernel panics? Because my iMac is going though the exact same problem and I can't seem to fix it. You said you used several attempts to repair the harddrive. Please explain?? Thanks.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I installed it on my primary system right over Snow Leopard and much of it works fine. The only problems I have are:

1. I use iChat ALL the time. iChat 6.0 is extremely buggy.
2. Opening Folders on Launchpad is very laggy and there's no way to delete an icon from Launchpad that isn't complicated.
3. Full screen apps don't adjust to different screen sizes. I use a Macbook plugged into a 24" monitor and when I plug it in it still shows my full screen apps in a small size.
4. Apps even such as iTunes haven't adopted the automatically hiding scrollbar.
5. I don't like the default wallpaper. :D

Other than that I'm pretty satisfied.

antmarobel

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2009
Brasília
I agree with Tmeleon. For a Beta ( the first one ) it is pretty "solid", pretty " steady " fast and of course, beautiful. I´m running it since yesterday on my iMac 27 i5 and my Snow Leopard is already in the mountains of Himalaya...:D

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
WHAT DO YOU EXPECT WHEN YOU INSTALL A DEVELOPER SEED BUILD?? THESE BUILDS ARE NOT ONLY FOR DEVS WHO KNOW WHAT THEIR DOING BUT IT'S ALSO FOR DEVS TO WORK WITH APPLE TO ELIMINATE THESE BUGS.

Since your not a serious developer, you should just not complain about these seed builds. You should also wait for the consumer version, to come out in 4/5 months.

I seriously can't believe the breach in the NDA's thats going on with Lion.

Apple has a developer forum and a feedback section, maybe instead of complaining you help debug these issues, before the GM build is released.

Wow whatever happened to trust in the developer community.

Some people are seriously downloading Lion for the wallpapers!!! so here kids!

Attachments

• Mt. Fuji.jpg
    Mt. Fuji.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
  • Lotuslion.jpg
    Lotuslion.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

baschdi

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2009
Tübingen, Germany
I installed it on my primary system right over Snow Leopard and much of it works fine. The only problems I have are:

2. Opening Folders on Launchpad is very laggy and there's no way to delete an icon from Launchpad that isn't complicated.
3. Full screen apps don't adjust to different screen sizes. I use a Macbook plugged into a 24" monitor and when I plug it in it still shows my full screen apps in a small size.

Yes I agree. Fullscreen Apps are really naughty on multiscreen setups :D iTunes is still Carbon, thats why it uses the old scrollbars and the Mountain-Wallpaper isn't a beauty - I hope these three things will be addressed before Lions summer release.

I kinda like the spell correction :D (rewritten text is underlined blue, nice). I love the new scrollbars (mostly).
And, except for Safari 5, its is rock solid for me.

I will use it as my main OS over the next few weeks, but I still keep SL on an other drive so I can swap them. I have seen worse Gold Master Releases than this Preview Release.

allamoureux07

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
Works great so far

I've been using the dev preview as my primary machine and have yet to experience any problems - will keep you all updated.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011

You're complaining about having to hold down 3 *consecutive* keys?!

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Yes I agree. Fullscreen Apps are really naughty on multiscreen setups :D iTunes is still Carbon, thats why it uses the old scrollbars and the Mountain-Wallpaper isn't a beauty - I hope these three things will be addressed before Lions summer release.

I kinda like the spell correction :D (rewritten text is underlined blue, nice). I love the new scrollbars (mostly).
And, except for Safari 5, its is rock solid for me.

I will use it as my main OS over the next few weeks, but I still keep SL on an other drive so I can swap them. I have seen worse Gold Master Releases than this Preview Release.

I agree. For the very first developers build, this is running great. In the next couple weeks I bet they'll release another build with all of these main issues fixed.

As for the wallpaper... At least it isn't as bad as the early beta Windows 7 wallpaper with the awkwardly placed fish. :D

If you don't remember...

http://www.cloudave.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/d0a20b8206df76d1bfb82651b6e1d827.jpg

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
i agree. For the very first developers build, this is running great. In the next couple weeks i bet they'll release another build with all of these main issues fixed.

as for the wallpaper... At least it isn't as bad as the early beta windows 7 wallpaper with the awkwardly placed fish. :d

if you don't remember...

http://www.cloudave.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/hlic/d0a20b8206df76d1bfb82651b6e1d827.jpg

lol wow that wallpaper is the worst. It would be better if the fish was eliminated.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
It was great to play around with the Developer Preview, but it is annoying reading messages from people who don't seem to realise that it's far from the finished article and is released to help iron out bugs and get compatibility sorted.

If you can install Lion on an external drive and keep it separate from your main system (as I have), then it's great fun to play around with. However, I'm back on good old Snow Leopard now.

The Lion beta is stable-ish, but not stable enough to be a day-to-day OS or be used to tide you over until the retail launch. And besides, is the Developer Preview not timed? By that I mean, does it not expire and a newer version is seeded?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
As for the wallpaper... At least it isn't as bad as the early beta Windows 7 wallpaper with the awkwardly placed fish. :D

Or that awful grass wallpaper Apple used for the Leopard betas.

You're complaining about having to hold down 3 *consecutive* keys?!

It's not exactly easy to discover how to do it at the moment. I'm sure Apple will add a GUI to do it eventually (complete with the dancing icons.)

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
There is this new thing called backup, you should google it.

I don't understand why people have to be such ass-holes on this forum. It's rather annoying. I mean, I "get in to it" with people from time to time. But to just be an ass out of nowhere...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.