Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plsingh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
India
I have more than 100 apps installed on my iPhone 7 Plus. But I have disabled Background App Refresh for all but 2 of them. Turned off Spotlight search for non-essentials. I have notifications disabled for apps which are not important because an app is woken up from suspended state when it gets a notification.

I used to have a lot of apps and games on my Android too, but greenified those non-essentials running in background. Does iOS takes care of it except of VoIP apps?

I have removed Facebook and Messenger because they run as a VoIP background service. Even after disabling notifications, BAR, force-quitting, they were being updated. I did all 3 of these on Messenger. Sent myself message. Turned off Wifi/Data. Opened Messenger. The messages were there. It was confirmed when I got calls too.

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
I have 294 apps installed and I have nothing disabled. Background refresh for all, notifications for all, cellular for all. Pretty much it is an option I left it on for everything. And my 7plus easily last a day.

So use it and don't worry about the battery. The 7plus is a beast.

Reactions: jabingla2810

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
1% an hour is not bad.

Just relax and enjoy your phone.
It's a little more than it should be though in my opinion (unless the cellular signal is very weak).
From experience my previous iPhones (with smaller batteries than a 7 plus) had around 3 or 4% battery drain over night (8 hours) on standby which is 1% every 2/2.5 hours.
A few tweaks can get that better, such as emails fetch every hour rather than push etc.

My launch day iPhone 7 which was faulty would drain 1% every 30/35 mins on standby no matter what I did, it would even drain at almost that rate while switched off. My replacement iPhone 7 averages around 1% battery drain every 3/3.5 hours on standby, that's with emails set to fetch every hour, background app refresh only on for a few apps that need it, same with location services and notifications
Etc. Cheers

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It's a little more than it should be though in my opinion (unless the cellular signal is very weak).
From experience my previous iPhones (with smaller batteries than a 7 plus) had around 3 or 4% battery drain over night (8 hours) on standby which is 1% every 2/2.5 hours.
A few tweaks can get that better, such as emails fetch every hour rather than push etc.

My launch day iPhone 7 which was faulty would drain 1% every 30/35 mins on standby no matter what I did, it would even drain at almost that rate while switched off. My replacement iPhone 7 averages around 1% battery drain every 3/3.5 hours on standby, that's with emails set to fetch every hour, background app refresh only on for a few apps that need it, same with location services and notifications
Etc. Cheers

I have no idea what my battery depletes every hour. Do not care as it charges over night and runs all day returning with over 40% remaining on average. To me that is what is important. 1% is still not a real issue.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I have no idea what my battery depletes every hour. Do not care as it charges over night and runs all day returning with over 40% remaining on average. To me that is what is important. 1% is still not a real issue.
Agree with your points about if you use it all day and are left with plenty of battery that's all that really matters.
I guess I'm quite observant generally though with things like this and are particularly keeping an eye on things at the moment after having a faulty iPhone 7 with a battery drain problem (even while switched off) delivered on launch day. The op seemed concerned with the 1% per hour drain though and it is a little more than average for these phones.

Cheers

Reactions: Newtons Apple

plsingh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
India
Agree with your points about if you use it all day and are left with plenty of battery that's all that really matters.
I guess I'm quite observant generally though with things like this and are particularly keeping an eye on things at the moment after having a faulty iPhone 7 with a battery drain problem (even while switched off) delivered on launch day. The op seemed concerned with the 1% per hour drain though and it is a little more than average for these phones.

Cheers
Before 10.2, I was getting 1% drain every 2.5 years but with around 50 apps and FB installed. So that's why I asked if installing a lot more apps but disabling BAR and notification/location for them will help.

Signal is 3-4 dots throughout the day. WiFi on (router at distance of 10meters)

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Before 10.2, I was getting 1% drain every 2.5 years but with around 50 apps and FB installed. So that's why I asked if installing a lot more apps but disabling BAR and notification/location for them will help.

Signal is 3-4 dots throughout the day. WiFi on (router at distance of 10meters)
I have background app refresh off and location services off for everything under system services except find my phone. Apps that need location services on such as maps set to while using. Last night I left my phone 10 hour while in bed (I had a lie in Sunday morning) .. during those 10 hours it dropped by 1%. This is an iPhone 7 not a plus and I currently have 24 apps installed.

Cheers

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Battery drain on my iPhone 7 is at least 2% every hour. I have an Apple Watch, though. Not sure if that causes higher battery drain but I'd assume so?
Make a note of the battery percentage and turn the phone off for 5 hours. If it drains almost 10 percent during that time take to an Apple Store and explain it also drains while switched off. Their tests will probably show the battery is fine and they will then most likely give you a replacement phone as they won't know what to do to fix the problem as it's not a faulty battery it's some unknown hardware fault causing the drain.
This is what I did last Monday and the replacement phone has almost no standby drain at all.

Cheers

Reactions: infinitejest

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
Make a note of the battery percentage and turn the phone off for 5 hours. If it drains almost 10 percent during that time take to an Apple Store and explain it also drains while switched off. Their tests will probably show the battery is fine and they will then most likely give you a replacement phone as they won't know what to do to fix the problem as it's not a faulty battery it's some unknown hardware fault causing the drain.
This is what I did last Monday and the replacement phone has almost no standby drain at all.

Cheers

Thanks man, that sounds like a great way to check the battery. I will try this tonight. :)

Reactions: deano1972

plsingh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
India
I have background app refresh off and location services off for everything under system services except find my phone. Apps that need location services on such as maps set to while using. Last night I left my phone 10 hour while in bed (I had a lie in Sunday morning) .. during those 10 hours it dropped by 1%. This is an iPhone 7 not a plus and I currently have 24 apps installed.

Cheers
Was your phone, by any chance, at 100% when you left your phone in bed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.