Installing Mac OS 9 on a OS X.2 iBook

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Mar 17, 2003.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have an iBook with Mac OS X 10.2.4 on it, How can I install Mac OS 9 on my iBook? When I startup from the OS 9 CD it says I can't install it. Help Please. :(

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Installing Mac OS 9 on a OS X.2 iBook

ive encountered this problem before. unless something has changed, you have to install 9 before X.

iJon

3. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i've erased a drive and installed x before 9. make sure that it's not a version of os9 that was released before the version that shipped on your ibook, new macs can't use software older than what came with them. also make sure that it's not the 9.2 cd, as this was just an update and you have to install 9.1 first. i've heard that in some cases you have to install os9 drivers on the hard disk for 9 to work, but if this is so, you may be able to do it from the osx installation disk without installing anything else.

4. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Ah, I did this (on a powerbook). The trick is to install OS 9 on a different partition/drive. Do you have an iPod or firewire HD? I installed OS 9 on my iPod. I can boot up off the iPod or run classic. The first time classic runs it tells you it needs to install some files to make the OS 9 work.

Give it a try. If you don't have a partition, save up for an inexpensive firewire HD. The prices are dropping fast now that PC users are actually starting to use FW.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Actually you can install OS 9 after OS X. Search the Apple Knowledge Base for the relevant articles. Also search the forums here. It's been documented many times.

6. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I tried starting up form teh CD by holding down C but it just booted up in X. The CD is a copy of OS 9, my real CD is lost. :( I have a real OS 9.2 update CD though. I also tried restarting to the OS 9 CD by selecting it from the Startup Disk Prefrence. But still it boots up in OS X. Any reason why? I can barrow a real OS 9 CD from a friend. :D

7. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

put the cd in while running and go to control panel and set the startup volume to the cd

8. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well I tried starting up from the CD liek that. I have a 5gb iPod with plenty of free space. The last time I tried to install OS 9 on my iPod the System Folder Wasn't Blessed (I used my iBook SW Install CD) Maybe that was the problem? I have other computers that I can use OS 9 so I can install OS 9 from those Macs. Help please, :)