Installing Mac x86 is generating error...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DackOfDoom, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DackOfDoom macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

First post here... I am trying to install Mac OS X Tiger on my Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz, 7200RPM 40GB HD, 512MB RAM. I just bought the DVD for Mac OS X Tiger x86 from eBay, so I assume the media is good (since I paid $140 for it)

So I put it in, restart the PC, it boots the CD (with the black screen saying "Welcome to OS X Tiger x86. Press any key to boot"). I press enter and it begins to boot.

then this is where I get my problem. It turns into the graphical interface, with the apple logo and the loading thing at the bottom. But then it just keeps doing that forever, after a "cross out" icon goes on top of the apple logo (usually happens after about 1 minute).

Here is a sketch of what I'm getting:

[​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you

2. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

First off,
    Mac OSX is ONLY for Macintosh hardware - anything else is illegal use of software (i.e. hacked and pirated)
    Secondly read the above and realize it will not work with your pc and you need an intel mac.

3. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Um.... I suppose you didn't know that it is not possible to legally run Mac OS X on a computer not made by apple computer. It's in the software license.

4. DackOfDoom thread starter macrumors newbie

Was I ripped off then? Should I contact the seller? B/c the DVD doesnt even look like it's official Mac...

5. nitynate macrumors 6502a

You should report ebay on the seller and get your money back.

This is extremely illegal.

6. Reimer macrumors regular

Reimer

Yes you were ripped off and its not an official Apple product

7. DackOfDoom thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks guys; so I guess heres my next question. Now that I cant run mac on my PC, what desktop apple computer would you reccommend buying? I do a little bit of gaming, a lot of video editing, and a lot of internet surfing.

Thanks :) (And if i buy from apple, will they come with Tiger?)

8. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

9. DackOfDoom thread starter macrumors newbie

10. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Yes.

Go with a 2 foot iMac.

It comes with tiger and more. :D

http://www.apple.com/

11. DackOfDoom thread starter macrumors newbie

Holy cow, thats so cool looking! :D I think I'm already convinced! Its about time i moved over to mac anyways with all of my video/photo editing

Thanks

12. nitynate macrumors 6502a

It is a very wise investment.

And no ugly tower! :D

You will love it.

And if you dont need all that screen space go with a 20" iMac with 2GB of RAM, ATI Radeon X1600, and Apple Wireless Keyboard & wireless Mighty Mouse for $200 less than the 2 foot version.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you think you'd be okay with a smaller screen, you can save some money by getting the 17" or 20" iMac. I'd invest some of that savings on buying extra RAM, since that can make a big difference when you are using applications that demand performance.

14. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

according to the end-user license agreement, you are allowed to install and run the software on one "apple-labeled computer," whatever that means. since the term "apple-labeled computer" is not further defined anywhere, you could presumably buy an apple logo and place it on your dell and it'd become apple-labeled. then take a harddrive with mac os x installed (preferrably from an x86 mac) and put it in your now apple-labeled computer. of course the other problem is finding a non-mac that uses efi instead of bios in order to boot your new apple-labeled computer, but that never really stopped anyone before.

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I doubt Apple and its lawyers would agree with that loose interpretation. Since the MacRumors forums do not permit posting of instructions for procedures that violate Apple's licenses, discussion should be limited to the choices DackOfDoom clearly has.

Another of those choices is to get a Mac mini, which gives you entry-level Apple hardware and Tiger for as little as $600. You'd need to supply your own monitor, keyboard, and mouse. That would be fine for web surfing, not as good for gaming or video editing.

16. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

of course they don't. however, what is the likelihood of apple's interpretation to stand up in court given the unclear definition of "apple-labeled"?

however, i would assume that the bundled x86 version of os x has a different eula (anyone want to post it?) than a store-bought copy of os x (which is powerpc only), which would render the original post a moot point.

17. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Actually, the "store-bought" copy of OS X is a Universal Binary. That it\s, it runs on PowerPC and Intel Macs.

18. MoonCow macrumors member

19. nitynate macrumors 6502a

He said he liked gaming.

MacBooks=bad for games. :D

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not yet it isn't. The boxed retail copy of Tiger is PPC-only, Intel Macs don't require purchasing of a boxed copy because they come with Tiger anyway.

Intel Macs run different builds of Tiger too, 10.4 runs on both PPC and Intel Macs but it's not "Universal" yet - there are separate builds for each architecture.

10.5 will be Apple's first Universal operating system.

21. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

I guess since he saw a mac running windows he figured that his pc could run Tiger....tough luck kid, but that's just not the way it goes. MAC>PC

22. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Core2Duo is going to run circles around your P4. I just built a Core2Duo desktop (a PC for cad use) and it is FAST.

Get a mac. Take it out of the box. Plug in. Enjoy.

EDIT: And just so its clear, all new Intel-Based macs can run windows under Bootcamp, whcih is basically a program that allows your machine to dual-boot either OS.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The boxed copy of Tiger Server is universal, but I don't know about the client version.

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh yeah, server's Universal, I just assumed he was talking about the client version.

25. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i seriously doubt the ebay seller tried to cheat you in any ways, maybe you should learn a little more about OS X and Mac before you buy it, normally, seller who sell OSX would assume you understand you can't install in on a PC, unless you contacted him and he said you can, otherwise, it would not be a "rip off".
    The reason it doesn't look like official apple product, is probably because the DVD came with new computer, so it doesn't have a box, nor printing on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.