Installing Memory?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GetGo, Jan 3, 2004.

1. GetGo macrumors regular

Is it easy to install memory in an ibook and a PowerBook?

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I can't say about the iBook, but it's easy to install in a PowerBook. You just unscrew a little door on the bottom, and slide the memory in. The only hitch is that the screws to take off the cover are very small phillips. I had to run to Home Depot to get a small enough screw driver.

3. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

My Powerbook was kind of a pain, because one of the tiny screws was really stuck in there. It appears that they use 'lock-tight' or some other tightner on the screws which I think does more harm than good. But overall it's no big deal.

My girlfriend's iBook was a piece of cake, it was the last generation G3 if that matters, just pop off the keyboard, undo a screw or two and slide in the RAM.

Definitely an easy job for either computer- something that takes a little patience and care but is certainly achievable.

4. niter macrumors 6502

It was a breeze to install RAM on my iBook. All you do is pop up the keyboard (turn the tiny locking screw if necessary). Then you remove the airport extreme card if you have one and unscrew the support it has...you will need a tiny tiny TINY screwdriver. Four screws out and you are looking at your removable RAM. Pop the RAM out and pop yours in.

Do not worry, your manual details the whole affair with correct angles for sliding in the RAM and whatnot. The first time I was too wary about it and I did not get it in right because I was going TOO easy on it. For me, it was easier than installing desktop RAM. The only part that really concerned me was loosing the 4 little screws for when I had to put it all back together. Do not forget to get antistatic tools.

5. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

6. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I have installed RAM in my buddy's PowerBook, and in my brother's iBook - no problems either way. You do need a smaller Phillips screwdriver, but any handyman/computer-head will no doubt have one of those in their arsenal of tools. :cool:

Piece of cake, not much to it!

8. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Don't forget to touch any metal piece to discharge yourself of any electrical shock.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah yes, I just do that without thinking nowadays, so I always forget to mention that - very important point. 5 years in the Electronics Engineering Lab in university + 10 years of working with computers makes practices like that second nature for me so I sometimes forget to mention the basics. ;)