Installing Mountain Lion on Multiple macs (ML preinstalled)...Legal? Possible?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Kelped, Apr 2, 2013.

1. macrumors member

If I purchase a new macbook with Mountain Lion preinstalled, will I be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion for free on my current macbook air? Does Apple allow this?

2. macrumors G5

jav6454

Yes you can, as long as you use the same account on the App Store.

3. macrumors 601

talmy

You asked both "legal" and "possible". Possible - yes. Legal - no.

4. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....this question comes up a lot. You can go to Apple's support site and read the license agreement any time you like, it's quite easy to find.

Your new Macbook purchase would put you under part A of the agreement so no, legally you need to purchase from the App Store for your other computer(s)...oh yeah!

5. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's $30. Crazy cheap for the extra utility over Lion you'll get out of it.

6. macrumors 6502

Such a cute question

7. macrumors regular

Well...you can probably go to a "pirate" site and get the OS for free. What's that? You're drive is spinning excessively? What's that? Your network is bottlenecked?

Not to worry, friend. That's just pirated software scouring your drive for every bit of possible ID and credit card number it can find and then sending it overseas.

Remember...the guys that pirate software aren't thieves....they're freedom fighters, battling against the corporate elite on behalf of all of us small chickens. They're only collecting information on you to protect you so they can help themselves to a small "fee" for their services .... your life savings, for example.

Aren't cha glad you didn't pay for that $30 legitimate license?????

To be serious for a moment, the ID on your software downloads are tied to your Apple ID I believe. If you need an update, which now goes through the App Store (the only thing it's good for, IMHO, but that's another story/opinion) I would think it would fail, or perhaps report the bootlegging incident to Apple...and that's what it technically is .... bootlegging.

8. macrumors regular

What the hell? Mountain Lion is an App Store product, which means that once you buy it, you can then keep on downloading it for free, as long as it's for your own user Apple account.

In this case, the Mountain Lion came with his new Mac. Because of this technicality, he didn't obtain it by App Store, so it didn't get to change from "Buy" to "Install" on the App Store. Normally I would suggest him to use the DVD, but quite possibly there's no DVD any more — it's all in the recovery partition. So eh, looks like he has to buy it :p