Installing New Hard Drive - Please Help

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Classic, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Classic macrumors regular

Hey Folks,

My Dad has a PowerMac G4 400MHz Sawtooth. It has a 10GB Hard Drive in it. He wants to upgrade up to Jaguar. I've already installed a Radeon Mac Edition video card to take advantage of Quartz Extreme. I have a 40GB IBM Deskstar 120GXP hard drive coming in the mail.

I want to install Jaguar on the new hard drive, copy his files from the old hard drive over to the new one, and then turn around and reformat the old 10GB drive. I want to make the 10GB hard drive a backup drive that periodically copies the user directory in Jaguar on the new 40GB drive.

This is what I am thinking, and you guys can correct me if I am wrong...

1. Take out the old drive and replace it with the 40GB drive.

2. Boot up the computer from the Jaguar installation disk.

3. Reformat the new 40GB drive and install Jaguar.

4. Run software update.

5. Install the old hard drive in the slot above the new drive.

6. Boot up Jaguar, and copy the appropriate files from the old drive to the new one.

7. Use Disk Utiity to reformat the old 10GB drive.

So, I'm wondering what problems to anticipate. Since the current configuration only has one hard drive, and I want my new hard drive to be the main disk, will I have to switch any jumpers to make the old disk a slave to the new master disk?

Will I have to mount the new drive into the lower slot where the current drive is, and then mount the current drive above the new one?

Also, does anybody know of a good utility to set up an automatic backup of the user directory to be copied to the backup drive?

Thanks very much for your help.

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

you shouldn't really have any problems doing any of this...

yes, put the new 40 gig (master) drive on the bottom.

make sure the jumper settings on the back of the hard drives are correct to master(40 gig) and slave (old 10 gig) or else set on cable select. i prefer master and slave setting.

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Classic

I suppose you could do it this way, but there is a simpler one.

1. Pop the new Drive into the second ATA/IDE slot - don't even bolt it in, it won't be there long.

2. Make sure its jumpers are set to 'Slave'.

3. Boot

4. Get CarbonCopyCloner (can't think of the URL offhand, Help guys?)

5. Clone your legacy 10gb to the new drive, blessing the system (make it bootable).

6. Power down.

7. Flip the drives, change the jumpers of the Legacy 10gb to 'Slave' and your new drive to 'Master'.

8. Plug and bolt 'em in.

9. Boot.

That should be it!

Might be good to run a repair permissions on the new drive.

WARNING: I'd consider sending the DeskStar back. They are notorious for dying very early. IT departments call them "DeathStars" for that reason. There are other drives out there.

4. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Installing New Hard Drive - Please Help

About you Radeon Mac Edition. It will not natively support Quartz Extreme because it does not use an AGP slot. You will need to use a Quartz Extreme hack to enable it. Here is a link to versiontracker with the enabler and a program to check to see if it is enabled.

6. Bear macrumors G3

Just a quick note about the IBM Deskstar line. It was the 75GXP model line that had the worst of the problems.

However the duty cycle of the Deskstar drives is about 10 hours a day.

[For those of you with laptops with IBM drives, don't worry, they have a much better higher cycle.]

7. Classic thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Installing New Hard Drive - Please Help

Thanks, but your wrong. The Sawtooth does have an 2x AGP slot. The Yikes! had PCI graphics. The Radeon Mac Edition was shipped either as a PCI card or an AGP card. So, I purchased an AGP card for the AGP computer.

8. cubist macrumors 68020

CarbonCopyCloner is for Mac OS X only.

I think the first procedure was fine, except that I'd skip the part about reformatting the 10G. Leave it as it is. Why, you can even hold down Command during boot and select it to boot from it if you want.

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Installing New Hard Drive - Please Help

Oops sorry. I had the two confused. Guess we all make mistakes once and a while.:p

10. Bear macrumors G3

11. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

No. Hitachi bought out IBM desktop hdd division.