Installing New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by patseguin, Apr 11, 2005.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I have a new WD 10k RPM drive coming in today. What is the best way to install it in my G5 and make it the boot disk? Should I jumper it as the master and make my current drive the slave? Would it then be just a matter of copying all of the folders from my current drive to the new one? Or would I be missing any hidden or system files doing it that way?

2. Bear macrumors G3

SATA drives (like those used in the G5s) do not have the master/slave concept.

And yes, you would be missing many files.

3. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I have a Raptor as one of the drives in my G5...
    I think the way to get the best from it is to make it the System disk and just use the other drive for a data drive.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Raptors here too in work G5s

There is a second drive bay in the G5. As Bear says, no master/slave thang going on... :)

Keep your eyes peeled in that bay for the supplied plastic mounting thingies.

Use Carbon Copy Cloner (google it, it's free) from Bombich Software to clone your existing installation over to the new drive.

Boot from the new drive & test it before repurposing the existing drive.
    (Sorry if sucking eggs & grandma comes to mind there, but I've heard people doing weird and rash things on these boards) :)

5. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Thanks, I will look up Carbon Copy Cloner. I suppose I could also do a clean install of OS X on the new drive and just copy over my data too, correct?

EDIT: I found CCC on MacUpdate. The last time it was updated was 2003? You got to be kidding me. Will it even work with current operating systems?

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I normally start over from scratch if I install a new HD, especially if it is for my boot disk. Who wants to take a chance with software made in 2003? :eek:

8. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

That's kind of what I was thinking. I guess it wouldn't be too big of a deal to do a clean install and then copy over what I need.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Cloned four work installations on G5 duals. All those machines are still running perfectly...

If it worries you, then there's nothing else I can add.

10. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Carbon Copy Cloner is a GUI on a bunch of complex Unix commands. Don't tell me those are out of date. :rolleyes: I would completely trust that program with all of my data.

If you are really worried, use NetRestore by the same guy. It can do basicaly what CCC can only it is a bit different and has been updated more recently.