Installing o/s panther 10.3.9 on G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kenaba, Feb 13, 2007.

1. kenaba macrumors newbie

Im'e trying to install the o/s on a G4 with a clean hard drive the drive's been wiped of data and that's all It has not been formatted
    The screen says select destination volume but is greyed out i can't select anything Is the problem the fact that the hard drive is not formatted
    This is my first mac so don't know what to do
    Any help would be welcomb

2. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Can you go into file or options or something and choose disk utility and format the drive? Not much help i know, but i think there should be option menus at the top which may help you.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

From the install CD open 'Disk Utility' and format the drive. Also just to be safe select 'Verify Disk'

4. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

If I remember right from the install disk, to get to Disk Utility, you have to access it through a dropdown menu at the top once the computer is booted off the CD. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. It would also help to know what the machine is, how much ram it has, etc.

5. kenaba thread starter macrumors newbie

HI Guys thanks for your input
    I managed to open Disk utility and it only shows the DVD drive and the o/s disk As this is not a pc i can't look in the bias How can i check the drive?
    Also how do you eject the CD i have to do it manually

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

When you are booting from the CD the only way to remove the CD would invole resarting the computer.

in disk utility you should also be able to see your hard drive. From here you can selcet it and under the "erase" tab select the format you want (defalt is 'Mac OS Extended', which is what you want) then select erase.

7. kenaba thread starter macrumors newbie

HI Guys
    Have managed to sort out the hard drive format etc HFS volume verified
    On loading the o/s i get as far as disk 2 then it freezes at 17% Iv'e tried this twice with the same result any ideas on what i should do?