Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
I was able to get XP Pro without any service packs successfully installed and all *necessary* drivers installed. Only problem I came across was getting SP2 to install. It gives an error about insufficient disk space, and I have 10GB left.. Googled it and nothing found.

Anyways, the way I did it was a combination of running the installer, extracting the items from the temporary .msi file the installer copies from my other PC, getting temporary internet connection via my Mac with shared FireWire, downloading a weird USB driver file, and using AirPort.

It was quite an adventure, but everything I've managed to do can't get rid of the SP2 error. I even downloaded the non-Windows update exe, but that gives same error.

But, graphics work, FireWire works, USB works, AirPort works, ethernet works, all without SP2 :D

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
grapes911 said:
I can't help you at all, but here is something you should look into before you do another install of XP.
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

I did this earlier today and can confirm that it does work if you do this. It "converts" a Windows XP SP1 to Windows XP SP2 disc. My final disc size was around 850 MB so I actually ended up making a bootable DVD instead of CD. Still worked.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
I installed XP without SP2, since I didn't have it available. The MacDrivers disk kept hanging when it got to a component requiring USB 2.0 (usbehci.sys). I'm in the process of downloading SP 2 on Mac OS X since networking is apparently not supported without the MacDrivers, and copying it to the Windows partition since it's Fat 32. After installing SP 2, I hope to be able to install the macdrivers without a problem.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
Kyle? said:
I installed XP without SP2, since I didn't have it available. The MacDrivers disk kept hanging when it got to a component requiring USB 2.0 (usbehci.sys). I'm in the process of downloading SP 2 on Mac OS X since networking is apparently not supported without the MacDrivers, and copying it to the Windows partition since it's Fat 32. After installing SP 2, I hope to be able to install the macdrivers without a problem.
Had the same problem with usbehci.sys. Get it here: http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=123003 (requires free registration). Then, put it on your Desktop or somewhere easily accessible. When that dialog comes back up in the installation, select that file. It will then give you better USB drivers and it should install your FireWire drivers also. You then can access the internet by connecting a FW cable to your Mac and sharing your internet connection :)

But, you still won't get internet access via AirPort or ethernet. That takes some more hacking :)

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
I plan on installing SP2, so I really don't want to bother with hunting down drivers. However, SP2 is giving me grief about my product key not being valid. Not sure if that has to do with the source of my XP disk (free msdnaa download through my school), or that I didn't bother to register (the installer said it was optional), or some other MS nonsense. In any case, I have a little more work to do to get it running right.

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
I was able to install Windows XP using my original disc with no service packs but I wasn't able to finish installing the Apple drivers and I couldn't update to SP2 because I was getting the same insufficient disc space error. I was finally able to download and install the SP1 update, DirectX9, IsoBuster, and the Nero 7 demo and followed the Slipstreaming instructions exactly to create a SP2 install disc and everything has gone great. It takes some time but as long as you follow the directions exactly, it is very easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.