Installing OS 10.2 Jaguar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Vickie, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Vickie macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2005
    I'm not clear on installing Classic Mode/OS 10.2-- I really need some good advice--
    I want to install OS 10.2 Jaguar in my beige G3. I'm currently running 9.1. I'm told I have to install OS 9.2, before installing OS 10.2 if I want to be able to use my older applications (is that classic mode?). Do both systems have to be on my Mac? Can't I just clean install OS 10.2 and when I want to use my old applications, can't I just boot from an OS 9.1 CD? If both systems have to be on my Mac at the same time, how do I partition them?

Thanks for any help.
  2. enginerd macrumors member

Aug 6, 2004
    I just happen to install jaguar on a G3 last week (see here) , so I can give you some tips that I hope you find useful.

My G3 had 9.1 on it. When I did try to start it as classic mode, OS X displayed a warning window saying 9.2.2 was recommended. 9.1 started up with all extensions and seemed to be fine, though I didn't really run many classic apps, just IE and an old version of photoshop, to see if it worked.

If you do want to run both OS X and OS 9 apps, you have to install both. Maybe you can just boot from the OS 9 cd, but I don't think this is worth the hassle The order you do it doesn't seem to matter, but when you install jaguar, it must go on a partition less than 8gb; it simply won't install on a larger partition.
    You can install both 9 and X on the same partition. I did it because I only have a total of 8.6gb space to work with. If you have enough disk space, you can create two partitions and split them just for organizational purposes.
  3. Vickie thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2005
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I guess I'll probably go ahead and install OS 9.2.2. I think your probably right, it might be too much of a hassle to boot OS 9x from a CD. It was just an idea to save space. My hard disk is only 20gb, but I should be ok.

Thanks again.