Installing OS 9 in a OS X machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hestres, Nov 7, 2003.

1. hestres macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My iBook 600 can't run Classic b/c OS 9 isn't installed. I know I have to install 9, but is there any danger that I could end up erasing X in the process? How do I install 9 while making sure I don't touch X? Thanks!

2. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

To use Classic, you actually have to install 9 *before* X...if I'm not mistaken.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Actually, I don't think it really matters what order you install them. OS9 shouldn't bother any of your OS X files. And if it does, just reinstall OS X after you put in 9. But again, I really doubt OS 9 will do anything harmful. I believe it only puts the System Folder on your hard drive, nothing more.

4. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

That's correct, the only things you might want to be careful about (I'm not sure about this) are the /Users and /Applications folders, since those folder names are used in OS 9 and OS X. You can always temporarily rename Applications while you install OS 9, so it won't overwrite it. I don't know about Users. But the actual OS X system won't be affected.

5. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

I just helped out a friend with an almost identical situation (ibook and everything!). It worked perfectly. Only snag that threw him off was that OS 9 wouldn't install unless you selected "Clean Install". Go fig. Though after that both 9 and X ran fine.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

To install OS9 after OSX you must do a "clean" install as the installer says. Also, don't worry about the Applications or User Folders, OS9 will work without modification with the OSX User folder, and OS9.1+ Uses Applications(MacOS9) instead of just Applications.

Good Luck Dude.

TEG

7. hestres thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all! It was the "Clean Install" message that was throwing me. I thought it could mean the installer was gonna format the disk or something and I coulnd't take that chance. And the installer doesn't make it clear what Clean Install means, either.

Thanks!!!