installing OS 9 without erasing partition?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cb911, May 30, 2004.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well i just want to install OS 9 on a seperate partition that i've had sitting there for ages. it doesn't already have an OS on it, just a bunch of files, around 4GB worth.

i just tried to install it before, but it said that it couldn't read some file on my HD, or something. then the install stopped, and i noticed the free space on that partition had just gone up?

so i just wanted to ask... can i install OS 9 without erasing what's already on the partition? :confused:

i was pretty sure you could, because i've done it before, but this time i did customize the install, i don't know if i could have clicked an option... i know i didn't have 'clean install' turned on either.

just wanted to check that here, maybe someone can shed some light. :)

2. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

anyone?

well i just noticed that a folder i had on my spare partition called 'Applications' was renamed to 'Applications (Mac OS 9)'. i guess there is the possibility that it will write over everything no matter what, so i guess i will just have to back up to a DVD, then just install OS 9 and see what happens. :rolleyes: