Installing OS X 10.2 Jaguar

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by billabong_mac, Aug 21, 2004.

1. billabong_mac macrumors newbie

Aug 17, 2004
    Hi. I'm going to be receiving the OS 10.2 Jaguar disks and I'm really new to the Mac computers and Apple, so I have no idea and it may sound dumb but I'm a newbie. A bad newbie :p So I was wondering if anyone could help me like give me a walkthrough on how to successfully install the OS Jaguar disks because I probably won't understand how to do it on my own. Thank you very much :)
  2. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under

To successfully help you, we need to know a bit more about your computer. Firstly, how big is your Hard Disc, and How much Ram do you have? If you have the standard amount or ram, and the standard HDD, i suggest you replace them. A 12o Gb hdd is plenty for Jaguar, and you WILL need more than 512 megs of ram for Jaguar to run properly on your 350mhz iMac. Are you expecting a rocket of a computer? If so, you are barking up the wrong tree. The computer you own is only a G3, which is now almost obsolete, at that speed anyway. The in-screen instructions are VERY easy to understand, with NO Mac jargon, so you should try it out and see how you go.

Good Luck.
  3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Installation of all Mac OS X versions from 10.1 onward is pretty simple - if you're using the defaults (which someone new like you should be doing), all you need to do is insert CD 1 into the CD drive and click on the button that appears. Your Mac will reboot, and begin starting up from the CD. Read and advance through the various screens, and wait while the installer copies the essential files over to your disk. Finally, set up things like your computer's time zone and your user account - Mac OS X will be ready to use.
  4. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Hold up, I have to disagree with you about some of that. While I agree that a 350 MHz G3 would be a bit slow for Jaguar, I think you're exaggerating a bit. My mom's (used to be mine) 400 MHz blueberry iMac with 256 MB of RAM was and is not that bad (it's had every OS X version on it since 10.1). It only seems slow to me now because I'm used to my 1 GHz G4 iMac (with way more than 256 MB of RAM). You make it sound like he may as well just sell the old thing. I don't think being just below the lowest thing currently produced by Apple makes (I'm referring to the G3) makes it obsolete.

I would say 512 is a good amount to have...256 will be slower but certainly useable, I used mine in OS X for over a year and it was fine.

And I agree with both previous posters about it being easy to install, just pop in Install Disc 1 and it will pretty much hold your hand and lead you through the whole thing. It doesn't ask you any complex techy questions or anything; OS X doesn't assume you know what you're doing as much as something like Linux does (though way more than Windows XP, thank god).