Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daliscar55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
does anyone know any reason why this would not be possible? is it that the mac is trying to read off my internal drive (it is faulty) and not recognising the external as a bootable drive (with the disk in it)?

daliscar55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
holding down option during startup seems to recognise the tiger disk but when i click on the tiger install pane instead of my internal hard drive pane, my computer kernel panics. ive just upgraded my os to the new 10.4.7, and its not got past the white screen/grey apple since, im trying to re-install tiger from my external drive as my internal optical drive is faulty. any ideas?

im really scared my mac is ruined

daliscar55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
g4 dual 867 mhz mirrored door mac. lacie d2 dvd writer extrernal drive acting as optical drive

can you also recommend a good optical drive for the g4 mdd? im thinking of getting the pioneer 111d dvd/r/rw its around £24 uk so that seems a good price.

daliscar55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
thanks for the help everone, it was just a simple case of unplugging my external hard drive to stop it kernel panicking, then i could re-install tiger via original disks. again, if anyone is not sure about installing the new update, i would say dont bother. its caused me a lot of problems.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.