Installing OS X (Intel) on an external firewire drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mr breaker, Mar 17, 2006.

1. mr breaker macrumors newbie

Not sure which category this should be posted in...

I have an Intel mac mini. I am using an external Firewire drive that has two partitions on it. Previously I had 10.4 (PPC) installed on one of the partitions using my old G4.

Now I'd like to do a clean install of OS X (intel) for a backup on the drive. When I start up from the Install disc it shows me the drive, but it says it can't install onto it because it's not a bootable disc.

But I can boot up from the OS X (PPC) install that is currently on it. Is this a software issue, or do I need to change the way the jumpers are set on the external drive?

The drive is a:

Western Digital Caviar RE WD3200SB 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive

Thanks!

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Is the external drive formatted in Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)?

3. mr breaker thread starter macrumors newbie

4. zami macrumors regular

Can't you just clone it over onto the partition with SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner or unpackage the install disks with Pacifist? This interests me as I have a Mini on order.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hmm... I don't know then... maybe it's some firmware thing...?

Or, if you're using the restore disk that came with the mini, maybe you need a retail Tiger DVD to install OS X on an external drive, that the DVD sees that it not a mini and refuses, sort of speak...?

Edit: Cloning, using the above mentioned apps, or SilverKeeper, sounds like a good idea... :)

6. zami macrumors regular

Problem is that Tiger Install disks are at the moment PPC and I believe cannot boot in conjunction with MacMini?

7. mr breaker thread starter macrumors newbie

I also created an image of my current 10.4 installation on the mini and tried to restore that onto the exteranl firewire drive...but it kept erroring out.

I guess I'll play with the jumper settings on the drive and see what happens.

I do have a retail Tiger disc...I'll do some testing with that as well...although my guess is that it won't install from the intel mini.

If anyone else has suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to get my installation backed up so I can install XP!

8. mr breaker thread starter macrumors newbie

I got this reply from another forum, I think it's useful so I'll repost it here:

9. zami macrumors regular

Thanks for this info, am I the only one to feel we are drifting towards the dark side?;)

10. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Here is what you are looking for...

11. mr breaker thread starter macrumors newbie