installing os x, not installing all those extras?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by empezar, Dec 22, 2006.

1. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I don't really remember much from the OS X installation.

Is it possible to NOT install iLife, and every other extra program that OS X installs during its installation?

i.e. is it possible to NOT use the second CD during the installation?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

CDs? iLife? What version of OS X is this? Are you talking about the system restore DVDs that come with a computer, or are you talking about an OS X installation disc? OS X does not come with iLife to begin with.

I think you change these options at that window where the customize option first appears in the lower left, but I'm not 100% sure now... because it's been a while for me also.

3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I think the OP is talking about reinstalling 10.4 from the restore disks that came with his/her machine. Correct?

During the install process you can choose whether or not to install any part of iLife, I elected to install everything but GarageBand. I think I might not have used the second DVD, I am not sure though.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

If they are the restore DVD's that came with your computer than yes, you can choose to not install iLife. From what I remember there is quite a lot of stuff you can choose not to install.

5. empezar thread starter macrumors regular

empezar

yes, it's the restore CDs to my mac pro :)

thanks for the answers!

6. qbmcnabb108 macrumors member

qbmcnabb108

When you reinstall Mac OS X from the resotre dvds do you have to back up all your files or is it like an update?