installing os x, not installing all those extras?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by empezar, Dec 22, 2006.

1. empezar macrumors regular

Sep 14, 2006
    Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I don't really remember much from the OS X installation.

Is it possible to NOT install iLife, and every other extra program that OS X installs during its installation?

i.e. is it possible to NOT use the second CD during the installation?
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    CDs? iLife? What version of OS X is this? Are you talking about the system restore DVDs that come with a computer, or are you talking about an OS X installation disc? OS X does not come with iLife to begin with.

I think you change these options at that window where the customize option first appears in the lower left, but I'm not 100% sure now... because it's been a while for me also.
  3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    I think the OP is talking about reinstalling 10.4 from the restore disks that came with his/her machine. Correct?

During the install process you can choose whether or not to install any part of iLife, I elected to install everything but GarageBand. I think I might not have used the second DVD, I am not sure though.
  4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

Oct 12, 2006
    Pasadena, CA
    If they are the restore DVD's that came with your computer than yes, you can choose to not install iLife. From what I remember there is quite a lot of stuff you can choose not to install.
  5. empezar thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 14, 2006
    yes, it's the restore CDs to my mac pro :)

thanks for the answers!
  6. qbmcnabb108 macrumors member

Dec 9, 2006
    Toms River, NJ
    When you reinstall Mac OS X from the resotre dvds do you have to back up all your files or is it like an update?