installing OS X on a 933MHz G4?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MrDSF, Jul 2, 2004.

1. MrDSF macrumors newbie

Currently running OS 9, but when I attempt to upgrade to OS X, the operation can never be completed?!?!

2. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Dude, I have 933 Mghz G4 and I've been running OS 10.3.4 for a while. It works fine.
    It's plenty fast for my purposes. I don't foresee myself getting a new machine unless 64-bit optimization becomes the new standard and I HAVE to upgrade.
    Well, maybe not HAVE to but it'll be worth it speed-wise to step up.

3. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

A bit more info might help us help you.

What mac are you using?
    Do you have the real Apple discs?

I've got a 700Mhz G4 and OS X works great on my system.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

800 G4 with Panther... not a problem

What is your exact machine/setup?
    Are you doing an erase/install?
    Are you using real OSX CDs you purchased?
    What version of OSX are you installing?

Give some more details around your installation process and what happens.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Agreed, we need more information. That computer shipped with 10.1, and 10.3 will run on much slower Macs so it should work.

6. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

You're really going to need to fill us in with some details, but one thing comes to mind right away.

You do have 128 MB of RAM (at least, and hopefully you have 512 or more), right?
    You might want to try using the OS X installer to erase the hard drive you want to install on first. Obviously, you'll need to back up whatever important documents and things you want to save. Honestly, that's just a random guess (as mentioned, some more info would really help), but it's also sound advice for a major upgrade like the one you're attempting to undertake. You'll get better performance from your system if you do a clean install.

7. belair macrumors 6502

belair

should definately work

I got Jaguar and 9.2 runnunig on a 400 Mhz G3 with 640 of Ram and both work just fine. I installed Jaguar on top of 9.2, so no clean install an it just purs. With your machine you should not have any problems.

8. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

Does the system have any PCI cards and other 3rd party componants that were not originaly in it?
    For exmaple i have a belkin pci wirless card in a 350 mhz B&W and if i install 10.2 it wont get past the apple logo or even boot from cd until the card is removed, also i think my Asus DVD-R causes problems with 10.3 as it crashes at boot with the drive installed.

Take out everything apart from the essential stuff like graphics card and some ram and see if it works.