installing OS X on blueberry ibook help needed

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by masterjedi73, Mar 17, 2004.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

OK. I ordered two ibooks off of ebay to see which one i liked (or needed more). The blueberry ibook i have arrived today and it doesn't have an OS installed. I only have the G5 OS X install disc on DVD. Is there a way to get it to the ibook? (no firewire port on this model)

The other ibook i ordered is a G3 500mhz 12 inch. (I'll probably keep this one)

Which models were having the problems with the logic board?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....did the person that sold the ibook not give you the software restore disks that came with it? while there may be convoluted ways of getting your g5 disk to install os x on the ibook, you are violating the license if you do so.....oh yeah!

3. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

The book was advertised as not coming with an OS. I'll just pick up the discs somewhere else i guess.

4. BrandonRP0123 macrumors regular

I'm not sure if that model will boot off the USB bus or not - so your mileage may vary with a USB CD drive.

The other option you have is picking up one of those firewire enclosures (just the enclosure!) that'll connect up a 2.5" drive. Remove the drive from the iBook, stick it in the enclosure. Run the Panther installer on another firewire equipped mac - install the OS onto that drive, then remove, remount in iBook.

5. BrandonRP0123 macrumors regular

That'd be the 800 and 900Mhz G3 iBooks only.

I've got an almost-three-year-old white 500Mhz. Has Panther on it and everything - no problem at all.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

it's the 600-900mhz ones my 600 (16vram) is covered by the scheme and the logic bord has failed

7. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Oh Good. I was looking at my cousin's 600mhz ibook this weekend. It seems like a really nice machine. Mine will only be the 500, but I'm not using it for extremely powerful apps. I have my G5 for that. I only want it for portability and light music composition. I also don't want to use the Dell that's at my school. (ugghhh)