Installing os X while keeping os 9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chubypig, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Chubypig macrumors 6502

Hey, I have an iMac g4 with os 9 on it, and I would like to add os x without erasing os 9 or the data associated with it. Can anyone run me through how to do this? Thanks

2. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

All you have to do is install OS X normally, just don't choose to wipe your HD or anything when you're installing. I have installed OS X twice on my G3 iMac (Puma, then Jaguar) and still have 9 and all my data from 9 on it. Just make sure that you have enough HD space... OS X can eat up more than you might expect. When, you're instaling select the drive you want to install it on, make sure that you don't select to overwrite your OS 9 start-up or anything though. There should be no problems with doing what you want to do.

After the install you'll then have two start-up disks, OS 9 or OS X. You can start the computer up in either one, so if you find that classic is running too slow under X or for some reason you want to only be running OS 9 you can certanly restart in OS 9.

By the way, nice Star Wars quote in ur signature....

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Just uh, install it. Won't do a thing to OS 9. Even if you didn't have enough room, it would simply tell you, not delete anything. You'll be able to dual-boot into 9 (if your iMac supports it!) and run your System Folder as Classic.

4. Chubypig thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, so I don't have to partition or anything?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, you don't have to partition anything.

6. Chubypig thread starter macrumors 6502

Spectacular, thank you! :)

7. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612