Installing os X while keeping os 9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chubypig, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Chubypig macrumors 6502

Aug 30, 2004
    Hey, I have an iMac g4 with os 9 on it, and I would like to add os x without erasing os 9 or the data associated with it. Can anyone run me through how to do this? Thanks
  2. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2005
    New York, NY
    All you have to do is install OS X normally, just don't choose to wipe your HD or anything when you're installing. I have installed OS X twice on my G3 iMac (Puma, then Jaguar) and still have 9 and all my data from 9 on it. Just make sure that you have enough HD space... OS X can eat up more than you might expect. When, you're instaling select the drive you want to install it on, make sure that you don't select to overwrite your OS 9 start-up or anything though. There should be no problems with doing what you want to do.

After the install you'll then have two start-up disks, OS 9 or OS X. You can start the computer up in either one, so if you find that classic is running too slow under X or for some reason you want to only be running OS 9 you can certanly restart in OS 9.

By the way, nice Star Wars quote in ur signature....
  3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Just uh, install it. Won't do a thing to OS 9. Even if you didn't have enough room, it would simply tell you, not delete anything. You'll be able to dual-boot into 9 (if your iMac supports it!) and run your System Folder as Classic.
  4. Chubypig thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 30, 2004
    ok, so I don't have to partition or anything?
  5. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    No, you don't have to partition anything.
  6. Chubypig thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 30, 2004
    Spectacular, thank you! :)
  7. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004