Installing OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Big Sol, May 27, 2006.

1. Big Sol macrumors newbie

Hi. I just got my first two Macs, a G4 desktop and a G4 iBook, both used but still very functional.

My question is this: How difficult is it to install OS X fresh on a system? I want to clear off the hard drive completely and start with a fresh operating system. How is this done on a Mac?

I have both the iBook and the desktop to do this with. Can anyone tell me how it's done and if I need anything more than just the OS X disc?

Thanks.

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Easy as pie. Insert disk, double-click "install X", it reboots to the installer, check the option for "Erase and Install" when it's asking what drive you want to install to.

3. Big Sol thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. Thanks a lot. I'll get right to that as soon as I get home.

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

And.. especially on the iBook, the next screen lets you customize what gets installed. You can save a lot of space (and install time) by unchecking the "additional languages". OSX likes to have 8GB of free drive space to play with.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

don't forget the printer drivers, those are a couple gigs. in fact, if you can, verify that your printer manufacturer still has drivers for your printer on their site, and just odn't install the printer drivers from the OS X installer disk at all, and after the install download from the manufacturer. Saves even more space :D