Installing OS9 AFTER installing OSX...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mangoman, Jun 3, 2003.

1. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

I've got my HD partitioned. Already installed 10.2.6 on the main partition. A buddy mentioned to me that it'll now be impossible to install OS9 on the other partition.

Anyone know if that's true?

(BTW, I would've tried the install already, but that same buddy has my steenking OS9 CD!)

Thanks!

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Ofcourse it's possible.
    If your Mac can boot off a Mac OS 9 CD, well just do so, and install OS 9 on the other partition.
    If your Mac cannot boot off the CD, you'll have to extract the hidden OS 9 (Classic) image from your restore CD (usually found on "<you CD>/.images".)
    Dubbelklik that image, and copy the contents to the other partiton.

One of the many gr8 things about Mac's: it doesn't matter in which order you install the OS's!

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

mangoman, you can install OS 9 (or any other OS) on as many different partitions as you want.

have you tried it yet? if you encounter any problems, just report back. :p :)

4. mangoman thread starter macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Looking to get that CD back from my buddy later this week. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the feedback, all.

Digital love,

MM

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

this was a big rumor a while back, i think some people over at the Applecare forum had troubles... I did it myself just to see, and it's worked perfectly for me--

pnw