Installing OSX on a B/W G3 with only CDROM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xgdfalcon, Jun 30, 2005.

1. xgdfalcon macrumors newbie

Jan 21, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    I recently got a used G3 with OX9.1 and a CDROM drive. I'd like to upgrade to OSX, but I understand that is a DVD-only distribution. Finding a bootable DVD drive compatable with my G3 has been impossible. Is there a way to create a boot-CD for installing OSX? My PC Firewire DVD drive works, but not for boot. I've been testing with a LiveDVD Linux Distro.

Thank you,

2. chv400 macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Hmm i thought that only tiger was a DVD distribution. When I bought Panther it came with 3 install discs plus xcode. Finding a compatible DVD drive for the B&W is a bit hard nowdays seeing as places only sell optical drives with burning capability however OWC sells superdrives for around $80.00. I have one installed in my B&W.
  3. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
  4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    You can trade your OSX DVD for CDs for about 9 bucks through Apple.

5. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Jaguar - 2 CDs plus Developer Tools CD
    Panther - 3 CDs plus Developer Tools CD
    (they're sitting on a shelf right next to me)

Other folks have already mentioned the DVD/CD exchange for Tiger.
  6. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

Mar 12, 2005
    Hermitage, TN USA (near Nashville)
    Almost any IDE DVD drive should work. There are exceptions, but for specific model numbers, simply Google it and see if it is compatible. But as for being impossible, it doesn't seem so to me:

Note: the above are all DVD-rom drives, which is what was in the Blue and White. I would not put that in though, I'd get a burner. Patchburn will make almost all drives compatible.